Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Airbag code help!

02 Windstar
10-03-2010, 09:32 PM
My airbag light on my 02 Windstar is flashing one then 9. I am assuming by other posts that this is a 19. Does anyone know what this means? I can't find info on code 19 anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

catvents
10-04-2010, 10:31 AM
My airbag light on my 02 Windstar is flashing one then 9. I am assuming by other posts that this is a 19. Does anyone know what this means? I can't find info on code 19 anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
This diagnosis lamp fault code #19 refer to "driver front airbag circuit fault"

02 Windstar
10-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Does that mean it's something in the electrical? Any suggestions on where to go to dig in further? Or somewhere to help with diagnostic of that circuit?

thanks

phil-l
10-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I suspect you may have problems with the airbag clockspring, which is a mechanism that creates a consistent electrical connection to the airbag throughout the steering wheel's full range of motion.

Search eBay for "windstar clockspring" for pictures of what your clockspring looks like.

There are a number of useful YouTube videos on this topic. Two I quickly found:

Test a clockspring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgL22uM8Tk

Replace a clockspring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB-qHTVWCSQ

02 Windstar
10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Ok I'll test it. In all I've read about clock springs it sounds like either the horn doesn't work or the cruise control doesn't work when the clock spring is out. Both work ok on my car.

Also do you know if I can reset the light myself after the repair?

phil-l
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, modern clocksprings also carry the signals for other steering-wheel mounted controls. But they're handled separately in the clockspring - they may be fine even if the airbag portion is failing

Also note that you probably won't notice if your horn or cruise control have an occasional, intermittent open circuit. However, that poses a big problem for airbags - they need to be ready to function at all times, and deploy in the precisely correct fraction of a second. The airbag controller is designed to sense any such problems in the signal path, and report them.

While I don't have Windstar-specific airbag controller knowledge, I believe most airbag controllers will reset when the battery is disconnected for a short time. Of course, resetting the controller does little good of the underlying problem hasn't been addressed.

Add your comment to this topic!