Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rust under the fuel filler door 2003

Rickochet
10-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I just noticed the paint bubbling up under the fuel filler door on my 2003 GP. This car has been washed at least weekly since new. We live in Indiana where salt is used, but I always made sure when I washed the call, I sprayed wherever possible and at least once a month, I go through a car wash with a good under car spray.

I have been so careful to maintain this car so I can hand it down to the kids as my last one is graduating college next year. I hate to give him something that will turn into a rust bucket!

After looking at some other GP's I have seen a number of them with this same issue. Any recommendations for repair and to prevent this from reoccurring?

Thanks!!!

TDWPgtp
10-04-2010, 11:18 AM
good luck preventing it! ha. almost every 97-03 GP i see has the same problem. also be aware of rust where the rear bumper meets the body on both sides of the car, under the spoiler, on the inside lip of the trunk lid, and on the front fenders near the windshield. best thing to do is sand down through the rust and then some and repaint. make sure you sand through all pitting as well.

as far as the area under the fuel door, this happens (im pretty sure) because of the sagging of the fuel door that these cars experience. on bumps the door rubs the body, wearing away the paint. one way to fix this is to find a way to secure the fuel door. i used magnettic snaps from a friends purse. i found very strong glue, and some spacers to align the door properly. i glued one magnet to the plastic by the filler cap, and another to the fuel door. its been near 6 months and is still holding very well. this will also help prevent excessive sagging that your fuel door is likely to develope eventually.

i hope this helps you!

JonJon68
10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
My 97 has no rust anywhere near the filler door and it's been in the snow belt since it's production. Why some have this rust and others don't is a question I've had for some time now. I am starting to see some rust in and around my rear wheel wells but overall it could be worse.

TDWPgtp
10-04-2010, 10:27 PM
My 97 has no rust anywhere near the filler door and it's been in the snow belt since it's production. Why some have this rust and others don't is a question I've had for some time now. I am starting to see some rust in and around my rear wheel wells but overall it could be worse.

good point! i forgot about the wheel wells. and you are very fortunate to not have the fuel door rust. im 90% sure the cause is that the pin in the fuel door hinge starts to bend or break, allowing the door to sag and rub on the body. plus im sure fuel dripping on the paint isnt good for it.

grandprixgtx00
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I've owned 4 97-03 GP's so far in my lifetime, and not one of them had this problem. Though I have seen alot of GP's with this problem. I have no clue what causes it. I would have to say if you spill gas on the car when filling up and dont wash it off right away...It has to have some sort of effect on the clear coat, and eventually the paint...

I've also heard somewhere that there is some sort of foam behind the fender on that side that holds moisture, causing rust. I have no clue how true this is, but I've heard it before

tblake
10-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Wax that area often, and when gas spills on it, wipe it off. The gas that drips there removes the wax coat and exposes the paint to the elements.

My car has no rust near the filler door, it had a little near one wheel well that I had fixed before it got too bad, and the inner lip of the trunk is starting to rust a little.

Add your comment to this topic!