Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Bonneville A/C Blower Non-op

eippermx
10-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I just bought my first Bonnie. It's used with a few warts. The biggest wart is the A/C system.
I can turn the A/C on/off and hear the pump go on and off. I can press the button on the controls and the A/C highlights and I can play with the heat / ac knob for temperature control. I can see the numbers run up and down on the led display. I can see the a/c icon go on and off. When I turn the blower up and down, it's displayed with the bars going up and down. What I don't FEEL is any air blow through the vents, whether its cold or hot. I can hear vent actuators moving around when I mess with the vent controls. But what I don't get is air coming out of any of the vents. I haven't bought the factory manuals yet and the Chilton one has photo's from some mid-90's car touting that the book covers up to '05 models that is a total waste of my money.
Any ideas what steps I should take to troubleshoot the issue?

mark

P.S. I love my Stable of GTPs and GTs.

eippermx
10-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Update:
I pulled up the rear seat and checked the fuses that were labeled blo or HVAC. They were not open/blown.

I pulled the cabin filter, with the AC control set to fresh air, verified that the blower motor fan cage spun free.

Are there a separate set of fan control resistors other than the AC control unit inside the car?

I've gotta find a set of factory manuals for this Bonnie. :)

mark

eippermx
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok its fixed.... Here's what happened. Being an old fart (50 yrs old), I took the motor out so that I would be so twisted up trying to troubleshoot the motor. Looking at the connector, clip up, left to right, (a) case ground,(b) 12v power , and (c) control signal.
Test results of the connector hooked up to the fan motor:

Car off: C & B 3.6vdc B & A 13.1vdc C& A 8.3VDC

Car On: FAN on, 1 bar on led display
Car on: C & B 13.7vdc B & A 14.8vdc C& A 2.0vdc

Car On: FAN on, ALL bars on led display
Car on: C & B 14.8vdc B & A 14.8vdc C& A 0vdc
This is what I'm looking for: A will be a varying voltage from high at low speeds, to 0 at high speed. B should be battery voltage and C should be ground. C should indicate 0 volts while connected. So the test was successful. No fan movement still.
I took the motor out so that I would be so twisted up trying to troubleshoot the motor.
I grounded the wire to the motor and viola' it worked. I went around to wiggle the connector and it quit. I moved the motor it started running half speed; twisted the motor upside down, it slowed down, then sped up acting erratically. So I turned off the fan/ac, turned off the car,reseated the ground wire..(stripped back some stranded 16 awg and wiggled the end into the ground pin in the connector and stuck it back on the motor) and tried it again. No fan. Wiggle the motor and it started working. So I turned everything off, next to the car in the dirt I sat, unscrewed the two screws that held the back plate to the fan motor. I found a lot of dirt and crap in the brush assembly, actuator, and fields! Camel hair brushed the stuff out of the case and armature, brushes, etc. and then vacuumed everything out and re-assembled it. Tested it and it runs fine, including wiggle/twist testing the motor. I re-assembled the motor back into into the HVAC plenum and its working just fine. When the input from controller commands it to different speeds, heat and ac are now working.

Jrs3800
10-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Glad you got it fixed and welcome to the world of Bonneville...lol

Add your comment to this topic!