97 accord overheating

piyush1
10-01-2010, 08:05 AM
lately i have been experiencing some problems with the cooling system in my 97 accord. I have to pour coolant into the radiator probably every 3 weeks and refill the reservoir every 2 days. I recently looked under the hood once i got home and noticed that there was coolant sitting on top of the radiator area and the fan shroud area. My car was at running temp and there was liquid bubbling out of the top seal of the radiator. This leads me to believe that i new radiator. Thoughts on this?

When i turn the car off the fan keeps running to cool the engine off. This isn't supposed to happen every time right? Once i put more coolant in the car then the fan doesn't come on once i turn the car off.
I recently replaced the thermostat because it kept overheating, even with enough coolant in there. That solved problems until i realized i think i have a leak (seeing how I have to keep refilling with coolant). Do you think this is the case, that I should replace the radiator?

somick
10-01-2010, 02:42 PM
This is not necessarily your radiator. You first need to find a leak. It could be your hose that sprays antifreeze everywhere. But of course be very careful: antifreeze is very hot.

Good luck,

Sam

inafogg
10-01-2010, 06:01 PM
i would check/replace radiator cap.sounds like it may not be holding the pressure

jgr7
10-01-2010, 08:08 PM
i would check/replace radiator cap.sounds like it may not be holding the pressure

My 96 was leaking awhile back and a new cap fixed it right up. Even if it is the radiator you should still put a new cap on when you change the radiator.
Jeff

jeffcoslacker
10-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Try a cap, it cheap enough. Look at the hose and plastic tubing going over to and into the reservoir. Any cracks will keep it from siphoning correctly.

Honda radiators have tanks top and bottom, and they are plastic. They love to crack around where the radiator mounts are on top, especially if they get tapped in the front end in an accident.

Since it's a vertical flow radiator, even a crack at the top will empty the whole system out eventually...not like horizontal flow where they can just run a little low and it's no big deal...

Rinse off the coolant that has leaked out, let it dry, then refill the radiator to the top and put the cap on. Watch it while it runs. If you have a cracked tank, you'll be able to see it as it warms up and starts leaking...sometimes the cracks are so hairline, you can't see it until you catch it in the act.

Add your comment to this topic!