Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gravity Brake Bleeding

mikeso_81
09-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I just replaced my rear calipers and I am about to bleed the brakes. I was reading somewhere that I can gravity bleed the brakes. From what I understand, is that you just open up the caliper and let the fluid drain? Is this better that the traditional two person pump up the brakes and release the bleeder method?

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
3.8L GT

Thx

MagicRat
09-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Yes, that's pretty much it for gravity bleeding. Just take care to keep the master cyl full, and expect it to take a bit of time.

I slip a clear plastic hose over the nipple and direct the fluid into a container so it does not spill everywhere. It's easy to see when the bubbles stop coming out by using a clear plastic hose. Do the caliper with the longest brake line first, this is usually the passenger side rear.

I have always had good luck with the gravity bleed, but it depends on the results. If you do not get a firm pedal with a gravity bleed, try the traditional two-person method.

mikeso_81
09-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Excellent. When I gravity bleed the brakes, do I need to keep the plastic line that I attach to the bleeder above or below the bleeder valve?

Thx

inafogg
09-30-2010, 11:49 AM
below

Add your comment to this topic!