Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Tahoe No blower motor

Taylor44
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
My son doesn't have any AC or heat ... more exact, the blower is not blowing at all. I checked other threads on here and the others that I see have problems of the blower not working at certain speeds...

I checked the switch first in the dash for continuity, there was continuity on various settings on various posts (so I assume the switch is doing its thing) ... I found the purple wire and ground wire ... when I check those I get .45 volts on all the lower settings and back to 0 on High ..... (fuses of course are good)... I have read about the resister going bad on the other posts ....is that most likely what I am looking at being bad??

Thanks!
Jon

MT-2500
09-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Auto matic or reg controls?
Resister is for lower speeds.
High blower is usually related and fused.
Check all fuses first.
Jumper blower motor with 12 volt fused jumper and see if it runs.

MT-2500
09-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Blower motor fuses should be right side of dash in side fusebox.
Let us know what you find there.

Taylor44
09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Manual Controls ...

Fuses in dash and under hood was the first thing I checked .. all good... When I get home I will drop 12v to the blower itself to make sure it is working... My next step is to pull the resistor out, check it over and also check the voltages coming from the plug that goes into the resistor, just to make sure the switch is good and I am getting the correct power to the resistor... if that is all good, I'll drop $18 at Advance Auto and replace the resistor most likely...

If I understand you correctly though, you are saying the resistor is NOT used when the switch is on HIGH?? meaning I should be seeing 12 volts on the purple wire to the blower no matter if the resistor is good or bad when I have the switch on HIGH?

Thanks!
JT

MT-2500
09-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes high blower does not run off resistor.
Fan motor High blower is powered by a high blower relay.

Taylor44
09-30-2010, 03:04 PM
next question out of curiosity ... is it in the fusebox under the the hood? (Seems I seen a relay under the hood for this) ... and now, come to think of it I remember hearing it click (under the hood) as my son turned the switch for me as I had the volt meter on the purple power wire ....(it would click but still showed 0 volts on High)..hmmm

MT-2500
09-30-2010, 05:53 PM
next question out of curiosity ... is it in the fusebox under the the hood? (Seems I seen a relay under the hood for this) ... and now, come to think of it I remember hearing it click (under the hood) as my son turned the switch for me as I had the volt meter on the purple power wire ....(it would click but still showed 0 volts on High)..hmmm

I show the high blower relay under insturment panel on top of ac/heater case.
Sometimes glove box can beremoved to see it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Taylor44
10-05-2010, 07:30 PM
put 12v to the blower... blower works ... I pulled the resistor and relay ... is there anyway to check these without simply replacing??

MT-2500
10-06-2010, 06:21 AM
You have not told us if regular or auto controls.

Yes you can test relay.
But test hooked up.
On realy test.
Make sure you have 12 volts to red wire A-2.
Check for good ground on black wire A1- ground.
Check orange wire for 12 volts feed from high blower switch.
Check E-2 dark blue resistor feed for resistor voltage lower speeds.
Check purple C-1 wire for voltage feed to blower.

With fused power and ground to relay.
Put fused jumper on C-2 orang wire relay should click and put 12 volts to purple blower wire.
Does it do that?

Add your comment to this topic!