Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Keyless Entry Receiver Going Bad?

JonJon68
09-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I just ordered a new key FOB and programmed it with my existing FOB with no problems. Every button works perfectly expect the lock button on both FOB's. The first day I programmed it about 5 days ago everything worked and the distance seemed to be improved with the New FOB. Gradually, the lock button has been working less and less, with all other buttons working fine. Now the lock button does not work but again, all others work perfectly...Could this be my Keyless Entry Receiver Module going bad? Any suggestions would be great. I'd hate to spend over $100.00 for a new receiver if that's not the problem.. FOB batteries are new and my MALL fuse is good as well.
1997 GPGT N/A 148,200. Thanks in advance..

tblake
09-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Hey Paul,

Check to make sure the drivers door and passenger door lock buttons work to make all the doors lock.

The BCM is what controls the lock and unlocking of the doors, so if the lock buttons inside the car don't work, your BCM may be bad.

As far as the keyless entry receiver, I've never put one in, and have no clue where its located. It may even ben intergrated into the BCM itself.

Installing an aftermarket keyless entry system (possibly with remote start if your up to it) would probably be more cost effective, and give you better range.

See my thread on remote start installing in tips and maintence if you are interested. It should give you a pretty good idea on how to connect to the lock and unlock wires.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=6798905

JonJon68
09-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi Tim excellent info thanks...I know where my Key-less Entry receiver is located, it's in the dash a little right of my cluster and behind my DIC. I know how to get to it easily however, I'm beginning to think that both my FOBS are bad. I'm exchanging the one I just purchased with another one. Just my luck that my older FOB went South on me but even worse that this new one did.... The new one works but I have to barely touch the lock for it to lock. It was sent out defective.....I'm glad I don't have to dig into my dash to replace that Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).

tblake
09-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Take them apart, take the circuit board out, and clean the button contacts with some rubbing alcohol.

JonJon68
09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Yea I tried that already. I must have gotten a double whammy of bad luck..When my new replacement arrives, I'll have more to go on. My older FOB won't even program, the new one programs like it should but it's acting like it's defective..

BNaylor
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Most likely a defective keyfob Paul. Where did you purchase the keyfob from? Many are clones or imitations and not the real OE GM one. I had a similar issue with the wife's Regal and the 3rd one worked fine but this time I purchased a real GM keyfob.

JonJon68
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi Bob, I purchased it from a seller on e-Bay.....:banghead: I know, beware of e-Bay parts....You are correct as usual, it was the FOB. My new replacement came in today and it's working great....so far.
If this goes bad I'll just get a refund and purchase from GM parts. The seller states these are genuine GM FOBS, these even have the GM part number: GM 10246215 Model/FCC I.D.: ABO0204T. So if these are imitations, they're good ones.

doctorhrdware
10-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Yes China is good for making knockoff parts to look like the real deal. That way you can't tell if it is the real deal.

BNaylor
10-01-2010, 03:25 PM
:werd:

Even the numbers on the back of the keyfob match. :runaround:

I buy alot of car stuff on EBay but you have to exercise caution. Query the seller and normally the price is the giveaway. The two prior new keyfobs that had similar problems were like $9.95 and $12.95 respectively. The good GM one was around $24.95 but it works like a champ even after 3 months. I guess you get what you pay for. :dunno:......:lol:

JonJon68
10-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Yes this key FOB was $24.92. So I'm assuming it's the real deal, Thanks Bob.

Robino0821
02-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Keyfob on my '06 Grand Prix stopped working. Taking it apart and cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol and a few Q-Tips resulted in a zero cost resolution.

Tech II
02-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Newbie, check the dates of the posts.....

Add your comment to this topic!