Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Better gas mileage

Stapletonb08
09-27-2010, 07:52 PM
I just bought a 2000 z24. I like the car very much but I figured it would get better mpg's than 27. It runs good. The trans slips a little tho. Befor I got the car it sat for a long time it's pretty rusted underneath , I'm thinking that the muffler and cat might b clogged a little. I'm going to put a new muffler on it. I was thinking of a flow master. And new cat converter. Also I'm thinking of getting a cold air intake. Has any one tried the cheap ones on eBay? Lol. Would it b possible for me to get 35mpg out of my car? What would I have to do?

rakers
10-11-2010, 12:25 AM
i owned a 1995 chevy Cavalier loved it so much, also had an aftermarket muffler slapped on it (trust me it roars) but as for gas mileage i suggest checking the basics...
- oil change
- engine flush
- fuel filter
- air filter
these are all things you might need to get done for better gas mileage.

and as for the transmission slipping if it's an automatic get a transmission flush
if its a standard i'd get the clutch looked at

good luck

razr_88
03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
If your looking for gas mileage don't get a cold air intake kit. more air = more fuel. there's a lot of rhetoric out there but all they do is increase the performance a couple of horsepower. I used to own a 92 olds eighty-eight royale and i tried a cheap intake kit, but i found my mpg's actually went down. for better economy just keep the stock filter fresh. i have the base model and i get 27-30 mpg depending on the conditions. Tire pressure, driving style can have a HUGE impact on your mpgs as well. Easy on the gas. brake sooner when stopping and use your momentum through corners etc.

danielsatur
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Do a Transmission flush + filter would be a good start too!
It sounds like you might be losing some hp at the front wheels, if the transmission slipping.

Add your comment to this topic!