Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Grand Prix Caliper Guide Pin Boots

mikeso_81
09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi,

I am going to replace my front calipers but need to know how do I replace the brake caliper guide pin boots. The new calipars do not come pre-assembled.

2001 Grand Prix GT

Thx

tblake
09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
15mm socket and they come right out.

tblake
09-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Oops, you mean the boots. I don't know, I've never replaced one. Why are you replacing yours? Are they ripped?

doctorhrdware
09-15-2010, 09:02 PM
To install the guide pin boots on the caliper brackets all you have to do is just press the rubber boot in to the bracket. After re-reading the op I think he was asking about the rubber boot? I guess I should have entered my replay as soon as I saw your post Tblake. Trying to do too many things at once. I have replaced the rubber boots before and it is not hard at all, but do it by hand. Otherwise doing any other way you will damage the boot. I had to replace the boots due to the pins rusted in to the caliper bracket, and when I tried to remove the boots they ripped.

mikeso_81
09-16-2010, 12:07 PM
The new caliper does not have the rubber boots installed. I have tried to push the boots in without sucess. It looks like they need to be compressed? Any ideas?

doctorhrdware
09-16-2010, 09:55 PM
When I installed mine I put some of the caliper side pin grease on the rubber boot. It goes on the end that is pushed into the caliper bracket. I did not have any problems installing the slide pin boots. So I don't know what else I can tell you.

Brent S
09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
How do you remove/install new guide pin boots???
It seems really difficult.
For this brake pad job, I didn't even bother, but I'm wondering how people do this.....?

Brent S
09-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I had the same question..I posted a newer thread, because I didn't see this one, and I can't seem to delete my thread.......
Anyway, I tried to remove the old boots, as the "hardware kit" came with new ones, but I couldn't even get a blade under the metallic base of the boot assembly...to pop it out.....so????

Has anyone successfully removed and replace the guide pin boot assemblies?????

BNaylor
10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I had the same question..I posted a newer thread, because I didn't see this one, and I can't seem to delete my thread.......

I merged your thread with this one so you don't have to worry about deleting it and lose any post count.

10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Anyway, I tried to remove the old boots, as the "hardware kit" came with new ones, but I couldn't even get a blade under the metallic base of the boot assembly...to pop it out.....so????

Has anyone successfully removed and replace the guide pin boot assemblies?????

suitable screwdriver will do it very easy, then clean the inside area with metal brush like the one used for pipes. Put some grease on the new ones they will slide in very easy.

Add your comment to this topic!