Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front-End Knock - Tie Rods?

00GTP4ME
09-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I've been having this strange front-end knock for at least over a year and no one can figure it out. I had one shop speculate that it was the strut mounts so when my struts started bottoming out I made sure to replace the mounts as well - that had no affect on the knocking sound. Have had two other shops take looks and they always say everything looks fine... :shakehead

The knock usually sounds like it's coming from the driver side (but occasionally sounds like it comes from the passenger as well) and occurs when I'm backing out of the driveway (when I'm turning the wheel and going over the curb), I'll usually get one clunk when I'm taking a turn at a moderate speed, and sometimes I'll even get a clunk when I'm slowing for a stop or when I start going forward at a light/stop.

I had a friend take a look at it and he told me to turn the key to start (without starting the engine) and turn the steering wheel back and forth. Then he had me get out and listen while he did the same thing. There was this strange ticking sound coming from the rack and pinion area and he said I needed new tie rods. I trust this guy, but is there a sure-fire way to KNOW that the tie rods need replacement? I HATE when I replace something only to find out it didn't fix my problem.

So, anyway I can KNOW that the tie rods are bad?

Thanks for the help!

tblake
09-28-2010, 01:07 AM
I feel a knock like you describe on my 2000 too, have since it was new and pretty much all from suspension components on mine have been replaced.

To test outer tie rods, you can have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth about an inch or two over center while you grab each tie rod to steering knuckle connection. If you feel any looseness between the two, the tie rod end is bad. One of mine was shot right around 85k, so I replaced both with Moog.

00GTP4ME
09-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Hmmm. I didn't really think about the ends being bad. I got these ends about just over a year ago at AZ so they have a lifetime warranty. I guess I'm not out anything but an alignment job if I replace them again.

How can you tell if your rack and pinion assembly needs to be replaced?

richtazz
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
also check the steering column intermediate shaft if there is no noticable free play in the tie rods.

00GTP4ME
09-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Ok. I'm going to jack it up this weekend and see if I can't find out what is going on.

00GTP4ME
10-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I inspected the front end as best I could and here's what I found:

~The lower motor mount looks completely smashed so I have a solid rubber one on the way.
~No play in the tie rods/ends at all.
~The CV boots look great and there is no play on the wheel ball joint side, but if you grab the CV axle and wiggle it, there is a little play - more so on the driver side. Is that normal?
~Tranny mount looks old, but not falling apart or anything.
~Control arm bushing looks old and a little cracked but still intact.

tblake
10-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Good luck Matt! Let me know how installation of the lower motor mount goes. I think mine may need one too but its not gotten severe yet. Just in the annoyance stage.

BTW, where did you get your solid motor mount from? Just curious because I hope it didnt cost more than 40.00 because Napa sells solid lower motor and trans mounts for our car and they run right around 40.00 a piece.

00GTP4ME
10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks man. I got it from AutoZone and it was about the same price.

00GTP4ME
10-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Well I got home from work today and saw a big puddle of PS fluid in the driveway. Rack and Pinion is leaking and needs to be replaced. There goes $700. :( FML...

I'm gonna try and put the motor mount in tomorrow and then see if I can't figure out that rear wheel squeak. I have a feeling it might be the rotor backing plate - we'll see.

I really want to cry about that damn R&P though. I hate this car...

10-22-2010, 04:45 PM
also check the steering column intermediate shaft if there is no noticable free play in the tie rods.

I agree with this suggestion. intermediate shaft could be making the noise you described

00GTP4ME
10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
K, I'll have the shop check it out while they're in there...

Add your comment to this topic!