Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Grand Prix GT Start up issues

faroutguy
09-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I am having problems with my grand prix on start up, I think it has a good deal to do with my stupidy of only running 87 grade gas through the car when I know it should have 91. The car always starts in every situation how ever it will often stutter on start up or take a few tries to start. A few times since its gotten cooler out it has also let out kind of a whistle on start up. It runs fine and once its started there is absolutely no problems.

I am wondering if this is because of the grade of gas I have put through it. I am going to start putting 91 into it all the time as well I was going to run some cleaner through it like fuel injector cleaner or something. Does anyone else have any other suggestions or ideas of what the problems could be if its not related?

Thanks,

Ron

BNaylor
09-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Since you have a '04 GT with the N/A Series III 3800 engine and not supercharged then regular unleaded is fine and you do not need 91 octane or better unleaded premium gas. Only the L32 SC 3800 and LS4 5.3L V8 '04 and up GPs require unleaded premium. Review the owner's manual.

Your issue may be solely a problem where the electronic throttle body needs cleaning. Common issue on '04 and up with the "drive by wire" throttle system.

faroutguy
09-26-2010, 12:37 PM
How would I go about cleaning the electronic throttle body? I used to do a lot of work on my cavalier but I haven't really touched this car since I bought it 4.5 years Ago. I've had it serviced professionally so is this something I could do easily or should I take it in?

Add your comment to this topic!