Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PCM question

valente
09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Didnt know where to post my question.can someone move it to the right place.thank you

the question is,when you replace a PCM,do you hae to do anything else besides unplugging the ground of the battery.before pugging the new one in.do you have to do anything after you plug the new one in.or you just plug in and turn the car on.thank you

BNaylor
09-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Didnt know where to post my question.can someone move it to the right place.thank you

Is this question related to a Pontiac Grand Prix or any car in general? If a Grand Prix please state the year. Also, is this a new unprogrammed, used or re-programmed PCM?

When a PCM is replaced the battery negative should be disconnected and before that make sure ignition is OFF and key out.

In a '98-'03 GP technically a case learn (crank variation) should be performed whenever a PCM is replaced which is done at the GM dealer.

valente
09-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I got 3 cars,a 2003 chrysler t/c ,2005 grand prix and 2009 dodge.
im just asking in case one day i have to replace one of them,or lets say any car in general would the hanes book show what to do in case you need to change one,thanks

BNaylor
09-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I really don't know if Haynes or Chiltons manuals cover PCM replacement but the GM Grand Prix Factory Service Manual does. Not sure about the other two but on your '05 GP same requirements. If a totally new PCM is installed it has to be programmed and a case learn must be run which helps prevent errant or false misfire DTCs from showing up later on. Also, with Passkey 3 VATS system a security relearn must be run after installing the PCM.

If you get a re-programmed Stage I/II PCM like from ZZP or Intense then it will be pre-programmed with modified settings and the case learn is simply recommended.

valente
09-25-2010, 05:06 PM
thanks for the reply and sorry for posting it in the pontiac seccion.
i just didnt knwo where to post my question:smile:

BNaylor
09-26-2010, 10:32 AM
No problem. You are welcome to post any question here at the GP forum regardless of car make but no guaranaty you will get a good or proper answer to your issue(s). Many of us own and have experience with other makes. Plus as dead as AF gets at other forums I can see why members post here. :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!