Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Window Problem....

sharpie22
09-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Hey guys,

So my window on my drivers side doesn't work. I have a 2dr model. I have replaced the motor, and the switch already. The issue is that it will work great randomly, and then not work at all. I took apart the assembly with the motor and the regulator and detached the regulator from the motor. With it detached, the motor will still shut off randomly...therefore I know it is not the regulator. What could cause this??? The only thing that I can think up is messed up wiring. I don't know how that would have happened though, and I even looked through the wires that go through the door hinge and they all looked fine! Need some help here guys, my window works fine for about 5-7 seconds when i first start my car and then it craps out!

Thanks

doctorhrdware
09-24-2010, 01:24 AM
I am wondering if you might have a wiring issue, which is causing your problem. Since you have replaced the regulator and the switch with the same results that is why i think it is a wiring issue.

sharpie22
09-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Are those harnesses that attach to the switch known to go bad? Also, are there any good ways to test the wiring from the fuse box to the switch and which lines exacly would I need to check...the two going into the motor are brown and Dark blue, but there should be a ground wire too right?

TDWPgtp
09-24-2010, 11:34 AM
you may have messed up the contacts on the switch plug on the door. sometimes the switch pulls apart, exposing the copper contacts. when reinstalled it may have bent or something causing it to come and go with vibrations or something. just a thought...

BNaylor
09-25-2010, 07:53 AM
the two going into the motor are brown and Dark blue, but there should be a ground wire too right?

Not necessarily. :grinno:

Normally just two wires are used to the drive motor. The motor works based on polarity. The ground is technically one of the wires but the power window switch reverses the 12 volts and ground. For example if 12 volts is applied to the brown wire and ground to the dark blue the motor drives up. Reverse that with 12 volts to the dark blue and ground to the brown the drive motor drives down.

sharpie22
09-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Alright I think i got it figured out....finally after two weeks of this madness. So here is the rundown. Original switch didn't really need replacement, only motor. Replaced original switch with shady eBay switch and worked for a bit. Motor finally gave out, therefore I replaced it. Worked for a bit until eBay switch started smoking one day...bad news. Anyways got it warrantied out and installed a doorman switch into place, only to find out it still wouldn't work.

Culprit- shady eBay switch blew the thermal circuit on the new motor

Solution- lifetime warranty on the doorman motor that i replaced originally

Therefore after replacing the switch twice and the motor twice I finally had it. What a PITA.

doctorhrdware
09-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Alright I think i got it figured out....finally after two weeks of this madness. So here is the rundown. Original switch didn't really need replacement, only motor. Replaced original switch with shady eBay switch and worked for a bit. Motor finally gave out, therefore I replaced it. Worked for a bit until eBay switch started smoking one day...bad news. Anyways got it warrantied out and installed a doorman switch into place, only to find out it still wouldn't work.

Culprit- shady eBay switch blew the thermal circuit on the new motor

Solution- lifetime warranty on the doorman motor that i replaced originally

Therefore after replacing the switch twice and the motor twice I finally had it. What a PITA.

Glad you got it fixed. That is why I hate electrical problems in cars. There is so many variables that come into play. Also thanks for letting us know what the problem was and how it was fixed.

Add your comment to this topic!