Engine Fan, related...

Klownicle
09-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I wonder if someone can fill me in with some insight. First off, I have a 99 Honda Passport EX. I have had this vehicle for a good 6+ years, and I have never had any overheating issues. Today the guy who works on my truck mentioned my Fan Clutch was bad becuase he could basically freely spin the Fan and it would continue to move when his hand wasn't touching it. So I said go ahead replace it.

Well, here I am just driving home from it being freshly replaced, and it sounds like im driving some sort of 18 wheeler semi truck. It is soo loud while im accelerating and driving that with the windows down its all I hear. And keep in mind this is at 1500-2000 rpm anything higher is just completely unbearable inside/outside the vehicle.

If I go inside the engine area and move the throttle up, the fan is pulling soo much that it is physically MOVING the radiator closer towards the engine.

I lack the words to describe HOW LOUD this thing truely is, at idle the fan spins and its withen reason. But once the RPM increase its insane. The fan just seems to get faster and faster as the RPM increases.

This can't be normal? If it is can someone explain this to me? I feel like im the loudest vehicle on the road now, i've been around other Honda Passports/Rodeos and have never heard somthing soo loud.

Klownicle
09-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Little note i've found;

It turns out that it was still the fan clutch. Buying parts from AutoZone proved to be a bad bad thing. The fan clutch that Auto Zone sells, Torqflo, is supposed to be loud. It is more effective at cooling the engine BUT you do lose horse power... A LOT of horse power so you begint o run inefficiently and gas will kill you in the long run. I would suggest using a 4 season or a high end quality Hayden fan clutch if you should need to replace it. We used a 4 seasons and it is running PERFECTLY!!

My mechanic says it was purchased from Autozone, but he said it was a Duralast? I looked it up, Autozone doesn't sell a Duralast, I think maybe he got the brands wrong.

He did some research and mentions the honda part, features a new clutch/fan design. Much more expensive obviously. He mentioned a oem he can get the same part from for just slightly less then the honda dealer.

Perchance this will resolve my issue?

Cat Fuzz
09-24-2010, 05:58 PM
The Honda part is going to be identical to the Isuzu part. Honda never made anything for Passports. The vehicles and all the spare parts were supplied by Isuzu. You shouldn't need to go OEM. You should be able to find a correctly working part at another parts store.

Klownicle
09-25-2010, 07:32 PM
The Honda part is going to be identical to the Isuzu part. Honda never made anything for Passports. The vehicles and all the spare parts were supplied by Isuzu. You shouldn't need to go OEM. You should be able to find a correctly working part at another parts store.

Where not getting it from the dealer, were getting the exact part with fan from another location. Apprently the warehouse was awear of the issue with the aftermarket fan clutchs. They stated (so I was told), that they are to notify the customer of increased noise when purchasing a non oem (aftermarket) clutch fan.

Never the less, took a long highway drive today, the clutch fan seems to dis-engage as it should on high speeds, and it seems to remain dis-engaged till the vehicle is turned off, once the vehicle sits and starts again the clutch fan is back to its stupidly loud noise.

I could probley get used to it. But after skimping various things in this car's life. I have learned, do it once and do it right, even if it costs a little extra. Works out in the long wrong. Ill post a update with my results monday.

Klownicle
09-27-2010, 05:43 PM
flawless, workin great, silent as a jitter bug. Completely new clutch and fan design.

DRoy
01-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Klownicle, I'm having the same trouble. So what part did you buy exactly and where? I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo, just purchased with 180k miles. It had hit a deer so I've had to replace the radiator and grill, bumper, headlight. It is very loud, light a big woosh constantly. I know that isn't a normal sounds and you can tell its loosing power because of something over doing it. The fan is tight but still moves, but after reading this I am convinced this is it. My husband on the other hand says it doesn't make sense. Lol

amigo-2k
01-15-2015, 07:11 PM
does it stop the wooshing sound after 2 or so miles? If so, that is normal for an aftermarket clutch fan.

If it wooshes all the time you need a new clutch fan ... search rockauto.com under cooling .... the part is under 70bucks shipped and shop will charge about 1.5 hrs of time to install...

DRoy
01-16-2015, 03:26 AM
Yes it seems to do it the entire ride. It quietens just a bit after about 20 miles, but you can still here all this extra air intake trying to pull out. So which one do iI get, the Hayden regular inventory or the four season?
Do you also agree about using the mobile one oil?
I just replaced it and put the castroil synthetic blend

amigo-2k
01-18-2015, 09:08 PM
any of the clutch fans at rock auto should be fine.

I've used mobile one oil in my truck for its entire life ... they key thing is the check the oil every other fill up ....

Add your comment to this topic!