Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 PA AC not kicking on

Smith1000
09-23-2010, 05:35 PM
I've encountered an occasional problem with the AC compressor not kicking on. The freon level is good-I have checked it. Pushing control buttons seems to do nothing for it, but I did notice that if I rev the engine, it will tend to kick on at that point. Is there a switch or sensor that could be faulty? It maybe has something to do with engine speed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

HotZ28
09-23-2010, 09:43 PM
There is a pressure transducer "switch" that tells the PCM whether the system pressure is low/high. It is located on the compressor back side. What was your pressure readings with the compressor running. In addition, you may have a sticking compressor control valve.

Smith1000
09-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks. I'll inspect the compressor a bit closer tomorrow. It has been about 6 weeks since I checked the pressure. It was on the higher part of the green (or blue) range with the compressor running. Can't remember the pounds. I just went out to look for the gauge in the barn and can't seem to find it at the moment.

It seems like if I don't use the AC for a few days, when I turn it on, it does not kick on. If it has been working and I use the AC each day, it keeps working. Today, it did not seem to be kicking on. While cruising, I shifted into neutral and revved the engine and it started cooling.

HotZ28
09-24-2010, 11:11 PM
While cruising, I shifted into neutral and revved the engine and it started cooling.Bingo, you probably have a weak clutch coil & the centrifugal force (rpm's) force it to engage It's better to replace the compressor & clutch assembly, along with the accumulator & expansion valve (orifice screen). I just replaced my PA Ultra compressor a few months ago with a NEW Deliph compressor, (which was cheaper than most rebuilt units from local parts chains.) I ordered everything from RockAuto Parts Catalog (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php)

Your 02 LeSabre would use Part # CS20009 which includes seals, Clutch, and Rings. Don't forget to have the installer flush the system, replace the orifice screen & accumulator & follow all recommended procedures to maintain the compressor warranty; Click Here (http://info.rockauto.com/Delphi/Warranty_English_11076.pdf)

(http://iam.delphi.com/)

Smith1000
09-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks. It makes sense. I may test this a bit this afternoon. I replaced a compressor on one of my old Lesabres with a remanufactured compressor. It was about $200 and it was a fairly easy job. The hardest part about it was that the space was tight to work in.

Smith1000
09-28-2010, 07:58 PM
When it begins to cool, there is a slight odor of dust. It is only for a few seconds. At idle in the driveway, it appears the compressor is engaged, but no cooling. I blasted out the front evaporator this evening and it seems to be cooling. I live on dirt/gravel roads and it was fairly clogged. Seems to work for the time being. I'll see if it continues to work.

HotZ28
09-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Have you ever changed the cabin air filter?

Smith1000
09-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Sure haven't. I didn't know there was one. I'll have to look for it. It is definitely due, I'm sure. The dust gets fairly thick around here on the roads.

Add your comment to this topic!