Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

value of my mom's 55

mcman6969
09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm hoping that somebody can help me out here. My mom needs to sell her 55 Chevy but we got no idea how much it's worth. It's a four door bel air with power windows. The car is all original, matching numbers. My dad was almost done with a restoration on it when he passed away. It was just about ready for paint and interior. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

maxwedge
09-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Not enough info, engine, trans, color, shape of interior /exterior, any rust, what has been done to restore it or keep it up?

MagicRat
09-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Find a copy of Hemmings Motor News, and look up the listings for 55 Chevys. Find some listings for comparable cars, which should give you a general idea of value.

Note these cars are all pretty valuable, but the value varies considerably based on body style, options and condition. Obviously convertibles are the most valuable, followed by hard tops, 2 door post cars, then 4-doors. V8's are more valuable than the 6.
Also, the quality of restoration means a lot, too. Poor or inaccurate restortation work can depress value.

Good luck.

mcman6969
09-24-2010, 12:13 AM
It's a hardtop. Has the V8 (238)? Automatic trans. The floor pans have been replaced, if there is any rust it would be minor. My dad rebuilt the engine 20 plus years ago but the car just sat since then. I know he fired it up when he had it out of the car and ran good. He told my mom that all he had to do was put in the gas tank and it was ready for paint and interior. I know the details are kinda vague but that's all I got, no pics at the moment unfortunately. She is gonna sell it at a cheap price, she had a offer of 3 grand but that seems a little low to me considering the fact that it has all matching numbers, hell my mom even has the original bill of sale. Her grandparents bought it brand new. Thanks for helping me, much much appreciated!!

MagicRat
09-24-2010, 11:13 PM
The '55 was the first year of the classic small block chevy V8. It was an unusual version, in that it had 265 cubes with no oil filter. By 1956, the engine was a 283 with an oil filter. So if you have the original engine, its a bit rare and unusual.

Look here for some similar values. $3k is too cheap But prices vary a LOT so its tough to pin down an actual dollar figure

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_nkw=1955+%28Bel%2C+Air%2C+Aire%2C+BelAir%2 9&_catref=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_rdc=1

maxwedge
09-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Magic the 56 was a 265 also, 283 was started in 57, but the value guide shows about 15k for #3 car, average condition.

mcman6969
09-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Thank you guys!!!

430-4
03-20-2011, 01:23 PM
as usual max wedge is right about the engine. 265 chevy isnt really that unusual. value of 15k. might be POSSIBLE but i doubt it. around here (northwest) a good, drivable, 55 4 door bel air would probably ACTUALLY bring about 5k. rust would be a huge factor, also amount original parts. 4 door hardtops seem to be bringing a much better price, but a BEL AIR sedan (post) is more rare and may or may not bring more. factory power windows COULD add a bunch to the price. personaly i wouldnt want them. i buy/sell, work on/restore lots of classics & just trying to give you a realistic picture of the market. i havent seen your car but the image i'm getting tells me 5k would be a good price. thats not a QUICK SALE PRICE. thats for the right buyer which might take awhile. of course someone might fall in love with it & pay alot more, but in this economy i wouldnt count on it.

Add your comment to this topic!