Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wipers won't squirt & HVAC won't work

marksgt
09-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and new to doing work on my own car. I've got a couple of problems with my 2002 Grand Prix GT 3.8L that I'm not sure are related or completely separate issues. Also, bear in mind I have an aftermarket remote starter on my car in case that could be the culprit.

First: my wiper blades move, but the fluid will not dispense from them. I don't get the slight "hum" I used to hear when they worked previously, so could it be the motor?

Next: my HVAC doesn't work unless it is turned all the way up to setting 5...and even then it only kicks on after being on that setting for a few minutes. The rear defrost will only work when the heat/air finally kicks on.

Other "gremlins": The indicator light for the fog lamps went out. Also, the time on the clock in my stock stereo can only be seen when direct sunlight hits it. And finally, with that aftermarket remote start, I have to hit the unlock button several times on the original key fob before I start the car from the remote starter fob, otherwise my alarm (factory horn) will be set off.

I don't know if my electrical system is screwed up or everything just happens to be going on the fritz at the same time, but any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!

tblake
09-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and new to doing work on my own car. I've got a couple of problems with my 2002 Grand Prix GT 3.8L that I'm not sure are related or completely separate issues. Also, bear in mind I have an aftermarket remote starter on my car in case that could be the culprit.

First: my wiper blades move, but the fluid will not dispense from them. I don't get the slight "hum" I used to hear when they worked previously, so could it be the motor?

First off, Welcome to AF!!!!!!!!

For your first issue, check for voltage at the washer pump while a partner pushes the button. You will have to remove the inner part of the passenger side wheel well to get at it. You also may be able to get to the plug form up top if you remove the headlight assembly. I can't remember for sure. I'm willing to bet the pump is burned out.

Next: my HVAC doesn't work unless it is turned all the way up to setting 5...and even then it only kicks on after being on that setting for a few minutes. The rear defrost will only work when the heat/air finally kicks on.

I am not sure about this one. Do you have digital automatic climate control or manual? It could be the blower motor module if its the digital automatic. I thought that was discontinued in 2000, so yours is probably the manual HVAC controls. Again, I would check for voltage at the Blower motor in all fan speeds. If you have 0 volts in settings 1-4 and 12v at high speed, then the blower motor resistor is probably your issue.

Other "gremlins": The indicator light for the fog lamps went out.

This is common, it has nothing to do with a remote start. I've swapped a couple switches out with LED's.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=925884

Also, the time on the clock in my stock stereo can only be seen when direct sunlight hits it.

Also a common issue and has nothing to do with a remote starter. There is a write-up floating around on how to replace the bulb in your display. I'll see if I can find it, or else just run a search on the forum. I'm sure you'll turn it up. I've never had to replace mine..... at least not yet.

And finally, with that aftermarket remote start, I have to hit the unlock button several times on the original key fob before I start the car from the remote starter fob, otherwise my alarm (factory horn) will be set off.

This one I have to ask, who installed? (no-offence if you did it yourself), but if an electronics shop did it, don't ever go back there. Read my write-up I made when I installed my remote start, and check to make sure the factory alarm disarm wire comeing out of your aftermarket remote start is connected to the orange/black wire. See the pictures.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1048881

I don't know if my electrical system is screwed up or everything just happens to be going on the fritz at the same time, but any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Sounds like a bunch of little annoyances. You'll get it figured out. Report back with your findings. Good Luck!!!

doctorhrdware
09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Tblake isn't the 2002 the same as the 97 if it the reservoir is towards the firewall and not by the headlights. I had the one on my GP go out and I bought a new one from NAPA for around $20.

tblake
09-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Isn't the washer fluid resivore located in the passenger side wheel well? It is on my 2000. Thats not to say it hasn't been relocated over the years.

Add your comment to this topic!