94 1500 Trans shift problem

BigbadBill4x4
09-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Howdy folks,I have a 94 1500 5.7l 4l60e.I have come to realize that the truck starts from a stop in 3rd gear.I bought the truck a few months ago and noticed right away that it seemed to take alot of gas to take off.I really didn't give this much thought because at the time I was more worried about the fact the overdrive didn't seem to work and the sluggish take off was more engine than trans.How I came to the conclusion that I am starting in 3rd is,I started watching my tach for an rpm change while accelerating and it doesn't change.If I manually shift L1-L2-D,there is no rpm change from L1 to L2,but there is an rpm drop from L2 to D.But I still think it starting in 3rd.I took it out on the highway 2 days ago to reconfirm whether OD is working or not and I got 3000 rpm's at 60 mph.Oh yeah,reverse works just fine.So,if anyone has any input on this,I would be thankful.If I missed any details,just let me know.Thank you all in advance.

transman618
09-21-2010, 11:43 PM
You need to have a trans shop put a scanner on it and check for trouble codes. Since this is not an OBDII vehicle you just cant take it to a local auto parts store for a free scan. You are either in limp mode because the computer has found a fault or you have lost power to the transmission which will result in 3rd gear starts. Let us know what they find.

transman

BigbadBill4x4
09-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Hey thanks for the reply.I have had it hooked up to a scan tool because my check engine light comes on at times,no trans codes,though.Besides the obvious broken wires,what would be the vause of no power to transmission?I will check to see if I have power tomorrow.Is there a particular wire in the plug I should probe?Thanks for the help.

transman618
09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Hey thanks for the reply.I have had it hooked up to a scan tool because my check engine light comes on at times,no trans codes,though.Besides the obvious broken wires,what would be the vause of no power to transmission?I will check to see if I have power tomorrow.Is there a particular wire in the plug I should probe?Thanks for the help.

Yes, check the pink wire on the round connector on the passenger side of the transmission. With the ignition switch in the "ON" position you should have 12vdc

transman

BigbadBill4x4
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Well I have to say I never get as lucky as I did today.Taking your advise,I went out to check the plug for power.I disconnected it first so I could do a visual inspection first.while moving the wires around to check them for fraying,melting,breaks,etc,one of them pilled out of its cavity.So I pushed it back in till I heard the click.I then checked all the others to make sure they were fully seated.I found a total of 5 wires not seated in their spots.Plugged it back in and went for a test drive.A properly operating transmission is a beautiful thing.I was told by the guy when I bought the truck that he had to replace the trans,.I guess this derelict or whatever dipshit that worked on it screwed with the plug,not sure why.Anyway,I used up all my luck today and the weekend hasn't even started yet.Thanks for the help.:iceslolan

transman618
09-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Well I have to say I never get as lucky as I did today.Taking your advise,I went out to check the plug for power.I disconnected it first so I could do a visual inspection first.while moving the wires around to check them for fraying,melting,breaks,etc,one of them pilled out of its cavity.So I pushed it back in till I heard the click.I then checked all the others to make sure they were fully seated.I found a total of 5 wires not seated in their spots.Plugged it back in and went for a test drive.A properly operating transmission is a beautiful thing.I was told by the guy when I bought the truck that he had to replace the trans,.I guess this derelict or whatever dipshit that worked on it screwed with the plug,not sure why.Anyway,I used up all my luck today and the weekend hasn't even started yet.Thanks for the help.:iceslolan

BEAUTIFUL....... Glad it was something easy and you are on the road at minimal cost.

transman

Add your comment to this topic!