Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Intrepid belt and radiator questions....

jsgold
09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
My daughter in law brought the old 99 Intrepid I gave her about a year ago over and asked me to change oil and d/c the belts, as she keeps hearing belt noises(at least that what she thinks). I ran the car a bit and there is a noise but seems to be the power steering pump but the belt is old and has a lot of cracks. I know cracks are not always a big deal but we had the car for several years and put about 25K on it, she has run it about 15K and it shows 144K on the odometer. We have no idea when a belt was ever replaced on it, was considering doing it just for peace of mind. Does not have conventional tensioners like GM...is this a pain to do? Also, the top of the radiator goes back and forth and apparently has nothing holding it at the top. Hoses, and I suspect bottom mounts but nothing at all . I removed the radiator top support assembly, with hood latch just to be sure but I see NOTHING. What is suppsed to be there? Anything? Seems odd to me but I guess we drove it this way for years and never noticed it.... BTW it is the infamous 2.7 motor.....

amphere
09-21-2010, 12:12 AM
There is a bolt in the tensioner that you use to tighten or loosen it. It is pretty easy to get to when the top of the radiator assembly is removed. I have an '02 RT with the 3.5L and it has a belt for just the AC that has access to the tensioner from under the car. It helps to have an extension to reach that one.

jsgold
09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks! I replaced them and was not as hard as I thought.....the radiator is a bit of a problem though. it turns out there were supposed to be two studs on the radiator that hold it in place at the top.....both are gone so I will repair later tonight so that it at least stays in place...

Add your comment to this topic!