My 99 cavalier has a check engine and ets off light on and shifts hard and surges

outlaw4life
09-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi Everybody,

I would like to ask anybody if they would know about the following problems with my sisters 99 cavalier with a 2.2 automatic. Well the radiatior cooling fan went out of the car so I changed it. While I was at it I changed the oil and filter as it was due. Well she fired up the car and first got a ets off light then a little while later a check engine light came on. The the car started shifting hard and idle surging. also noticed the temperature gage not working. Well went to auto zone to have dianostic test ran and it said electronic cooling temerature sensor well I changed it and its still doing the same thing. also notice fan kicks on in begining. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks In advance and have a good day, ed

outlaw4life
09-19-2010, 03:20 PM
hi i had a dianostic test ran again and they turned the lights out and the temperature gage started working again . it last for a few blocks were the ets off and check engine light came back on. The temp gauge stopped working again. im lost, anybody any ideas?

outlaw4life
09-19-2010, 07:53 PM
the diagnostic code was p0118 on the test

Jmrec100
09-22-2010, 05:28 PM
When changing the oil filter, did you disconnect the Speed sensor? Its at the bottom of the trans, passenger side. Right where the half axles go in. Mine was disconnected by the local oil place and didn't push it back on. Check it. The surging, ets would happen.

outlaw4life
10-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the tip jmrec100. Ill remember that the next time I encounter the problem. I went and had adianostic test ran on it and found out that the wire that plugged into the engine coolant temperature sensor was bad. I changed it and its back to normal. On behalf of everyone of us who are learning to wrench, I wanna thank the ones on here to take the time and the patience to explain things to the folks who are like how I am, Basically a preventative maintenance/parts changer, to lets us learn off of you. Thanks so much.....Ed

Add your comment to this topic!