96 trans 4x4 not going into any gears

ls2002
09-19-2010, 01:04 PM
My daughters 1996 chevy 5.7 4x4 automatic trans with the manual 4x4 shifter will not go into any gear. the gear shifter can be place in any gear but its like the trans is in neutral, also the 4x4 shifter can be shifted to the different ranges just fine. A few days before the trans went out my daughter did mention that her speedometer and rpm gage would max out then nothing then would work. when we pulled it home with the engine idling and trans in nuetral the speedometer did work. but still no forward or reverse, we have pulled the eng and trans the fluid from the transfer case looks bright as if new.

jdmccright
09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
When you shift into the gears, do you hear any clunks or whines from the tranny?

I'm almost inclined to think there's a problem with the shifter instead. It may be manual shift-operated but it is actually vacuum actuated from a switch screwed into the transmission with three vacuum tubes attached to it. If this fails, transmission fluid can get sucked into the lines, the front hub locking actuator, etc., generally creating havoc from a $12 part. If you pull the hose from the little vacuum bulb or from the tranny to the actuator (under the battery?) and tranny fluid comes out, the switch is bad...fluid coming out of the vent pipe next to the dipstick is a sign too.

Then you'll have to drain/blow all the fluid out of the lines, the bulb, actuator diaphragm, etc. Once this is done then, retry your shifter.

If the vacuum lines are dry, then it may also be the transfer case encoder motor.

Hope this helps!

ls2002
09-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I seperated the eng and trans tonight looking into the pump where the torque converted shaft would go i could see that the two tongs where the slots on the converter shaft would engage were broken off. so bascicly the torque converter wasnot turning the pump. Can someone tell me how to pull the pump?

Blue Bowtie
09-23-2010, 08:27 PM
You need to remove the trans oil pan, the trans filter, and the TCC solenoid. When those are removed the pump bolts can be removed and the pump assembly can be removed from the transmission. You can use the special pump removal tool or simply use a screwdriver between the rear of the pump and the shell of the transmission just in front of the band.

Be careful removing the pump since it also holds the input shell in position. If you allow the input shell and shaft to move forward much at all you may end up realigning several clutch plates and steels to reassemble the transmission. Make sure you notice the orientation of the thrust washer on the back of the pump and replace it in the same position. If you find meal flakes it might be a good idea to go through the trans anyway. This might be helpful: http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60ERepairs.html

Add your comment to this topic!