Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP ME MR. WIZZARD ! 97 ram 1500 won't start

ErnieR57
09-18-2010, 11:10 PM
it was runnung fine then it started running rough, no pwer , 10 mph max speed . When I step down on the throttle it bogged down. Now it wont start at all. I took the fuel pump out checked filters and pressure . All good. replaced pump tested pressure again still good at 51 p.s.i.
Spark is good in plugs. injectors are getting fuel. Exhuaust smells like raw fumess. If i take the fuel ine loose from the fuel rail and let it run into a container while cranking the engine it will start briefly 3 or 4 times . When I reattach the fuel line it will not even attept to start, just keep turning over with occasional tease . HELP ME MR. WIZZARD

mcmalloy
09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
sounds like some wires are shorted out, check around the exhust manafolds for any wires that are melted. had the same problem with a sunbird, pull the fuel pump fuse and it would run for a bit , put fuse back in and it would die, found a bunch wires behind the engine that where touching the exhust and melted

ErnieR57
09-19-2010, 11:10 PM
sounds like some wires are shorted out, check around the exhust manafolds for any wires that are melted. had the same problem with a sunbird, pull the fuel pump fuse and it would run for a bit , put fuse back in and it would die, found a bunch wires behind the engine that where touching the exhust and melted

Thanks for taking the time to respond...

Checked, all wires are good. removed spark plugs , squirted some fuel into cylinders , replaced plugs , still no go. Removed injecters , they are spraying.. Really weird 1 i seem to have fuel and spark and compression but no ignition of mixture???

Add your comment to this topic!