Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DIY Decals! Mugen, Spoon, Advan, Recaro, CF.

Interlude
05-19-2003, 08:28 PM
I have been reading this forum for months and I got some really useful info, but I have never posted. I thought I might contribute by posting these decals I made. They are all made from scratch, cuz if I just scanned and printed existing decal sheets, they wouldn't look as crisp and clean.

Just print it out on decal paper. I use Expert's Choice Clear Decal paper (same company as Bare-Metal Foil) and it works great. Just make sure you get the right ones. There are ink-jet and laser/copier versions. If you use an ink-jet printer you MUST spray a few coats of flat clear coat on the decal after printing or the ink will run and bleed when in water. Testor's Flat coat is good.

For the small and intricate decals I suggest using a high DPI laser printer so you can see all the details. A thermal die-sub printer would be even better! (ie. ALPs). No matter how you print it, you should select the highest DPI setting you can.

The images look huge, but that's just because they are in high res 300 pixels/inch. They will look the right size when it gets printed. Oh ya... always use MicroSet/Sol!

Mugen Stripe:

Interlude
05-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Mugen and Spoon:

Interlude
05-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Advan, Recaro, Bride, C-West, etc...

Interlude
05-19-2003, 08:33 PM
I have a Integra Type R CF hood decal, but it is too big to post. You can always PM me for it.

Veyron
05-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Nice tip and nice decals! :)

Ragnarok043
05-19-2003, 09:02 PM
thanks for the hook up mang:D

njh
05-19-2003, 09:18 PM
I thinks those mugen might have to be resized smaller. It's too big for 1:24 scale.

SwooshICE
05-19-2003, 09:21 PM
can these be printed with normal printer?
coz i don't think my ink is water proof.. :(

Interlude
05-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by SwooshICE
can these be printed with normal printer?
coz i don't think my ink is water proof.. :(

You need to use flat clearcoat on top. I talked about it in my post, read my post at the top.

Interlude
05-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by njh
I thinks those mugen might have to be resized smaller. It's too big for 1:24 scale.

The Mugen Stripe is the perfect size when printed. I made the other Mugen decals a few mm bigger. You guys can always resize it to whatever you want.

ShOrtyOC714
05-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Yo Interlude, Where did u get those company names, Cuz at the bottom of the stuff it says ur name under it. Just wondering. Thanx

Interlude
05-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Shorty4859
Yo Interlude, Where did u get those company names, Cuz at the bottom of the stuff it says ur name under it. Just wondering. Thanx

What do you mean? I made them. Well actually 're-made' them, cuz I had logo pics as a template and some original decals to get the size right.

From my post above:
They are all made from scratch, cuz if I just scanned and printed existing decal sheets, they wouldn't look as crisp and clean.

endlesskev86
05-19-2003, 10:23 PM
do u have any more logos by any chance??
Endless, Tein, TRD. Nismo, DRFT, etc:)

Feint Motion
05-19-2003, 10:31 PM
thanks man, ive been looking for mugen decals for a while, thanks alot:rolleyes:

Interlude
05-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MugenCRXSi
thanks man, ive been looking for mugen decals for a while, thanks alot:rolleyes:

Whats the :rolleyes: for?

Feint Motion
05-19-2003, 10:56 PM
just so happy i have some now:D

modelcarmaster16
05-19-2003, 11:11 PM
hey Interlude
could you make me NOS decals for my nos bottle.if you can ,how much are you willing to sell them.

Interlude
05-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by modelcarmaster16
hey Interlude
could you make me NOS decals for my nos bottle.if you can ,how much are you willing to sell them.

Sell? I never even thought of selling them. It is pretty easy to make em yourself. I can make some NOS logos, but I dunno what dimensions to make them in. If someone can gimme the height and width of the label that's on a nos cannister, I can make one for yah!

modelcarmaster16
05-19-2003, 11:32 PM
could you like make them difrent sizes.this is the NOS bottle

Interlude
05-20-2003, 12:45 AM
modelcarmaster16: Here's the NOS bottle decal you wanted. It prints out to 1.4" by 2". I made it that big so you can shrink it to whatever size bottle you have.

The text might be a bit wrong, I coudn't make out the text from the picture I had.

nornicle
05-20-2003, 01:04 AM
I'm looking for kanji type characters and drifter sort of decals.. etc.. tuner decals etc..

and I have no means of getting any of it printed.. so someone in Australia to print them out for me.. compensated of course for the time spent ;)

Interlude
05-20-2003, 01:06 AM
This one prints out to 0.7" by 1". I am not sure if that is the right size for 1:24 bottle. Let me know and I can always resize.

OPM
05-20-2003, 04:25 AM
*cough* we nissan lovers need some nismo stuff *cough*:D

modelcarmaster16
05-20-2003, 08:48 AM
ok make like a small, mediam,large.and see which one fits

modelcarmaster16
05-20-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by nornicle
I'm looking for kanji type characters and drifter sort of decals.. etc.. tuner decals etc..

and I have no means of getting any of it printed.. so someone in Australia to print them out for me.. compensated of course for the time spent ;)

go to http://www.pcmodeler.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=964&11 they sell decals there.

nornicle
05-20-2003, 09:05 AM
excellent.. I want those tuner logos..

but I also want kanji character decals (for example from Kenshin I would like "Aku Soku Zan" and the characters for "bad" and uhhh the characters from Kenshin's 10 way attack or whatever)... that would be bad ass.. making a Kenshin tuner R34 :P

Vric
05-20-2003, 12:18 PM
I have a bunch of those.. but I can't upload them.. even in Jpeg, it would took too much space and the server will not acept it :(

4 Jpeg of 700k to 1meg each (compressed !)

Jay!
05-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Many thanks!! :wave:

Interlude
05-20-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by OPM
*cough* we nissan lovers need some nismo stuff *cough*:D

Honda Power!! Bwahhaha! :flipa:

LOL... just joking... I bet you'll see a lot of Nismo decals when I start making my Skylines... heh heh.. After that comes MazdaSpeed!

OPM
05-20-2003, 08:30 PM
thumbs up:) perfect:D

Midnight Racer
05-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Thanx for the pics.:)

TURBO_EK4
05-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey Vric can you send them to me by e-mail? If yes, heres me Email, strghthtuggin17@hotmail.com, thanx!;)

modelcarmaster16
05-20-2003, 10:13 PM
hey interlude
are you going to make me the NOS decals.im willing to buy them:D

Interlude
05-20-2003, 11:35 PM
hey interlude
are you going to make me the NOS decals.im willing to buy them:D

It is actually really easy to make em. Just buy some decal paper and print out the pics I posted. If you used a laser or die-sublimation printer your ready to go! If you used an Ink-jet spray it with flat clear coat.

Not hard at all, just give it a try! :)

Murco
05-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Some time back someone posted a website that had a huge number of logos for downloading... Anyone remember that one?

Vric
05-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by TURBO_EK4
Hey Vric can you send them to me by e-mail? If yes, heres me Email, strghthtuggin17@hotmail.com, thanx!;)

I will not send them by email to noone sorry !

I am willing to share them, but this person need to share it with everyone ! So i Need about 3meg of Space to be safe

TURBO_EK4
05-21-2003, 04:14 PM
Maybe you can try Imagestation.com. Im pretty sure you can upload them there.;)

modelcarmaster16
05-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Interlude

It is actually really easy to make em. Just buy some decal paper and print out the pics I posted. If you used a laser or die-sublimation printer your ready to go! If you used an Ink-jet spray it with flat clear coat.

Not hard at all, just give it a try! :)

sorry no printer:mad:thats why im asking you

Tea
05-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows the answers to my questions

There is no "white ink" in ink jet printers, so how do you people who had worked with home-made decals previously create white decals?
And do those laser color printers accept decal papers and do they have white ink in their ink catridge?

My best bet is to print out a shape (letters) I want and then slowly color them with tamiya pure white, and then clearcoat it.

Any better tips?

Honoturtle
05-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks for posting the pics! I got a few questions though, I have clear decal paper by Wave, and when I print, can I use Gloss coat instead of flat?

Interlude
05-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Honoturtle
Thanks for posting the pics! I got a few questions though, I have clear decal paper by Wave, and when I print, can I use Gloss coat instead of flat?

Gloss coat should work the same as flat coat, but generally on real cars the decals are not shiney.

Gloss might be a bit more viscous than flat. I am not sure, does anyone know?

Interlude
05-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Tea
Just wondering if anyone knows the answers to my questions

There is no "white ink" in ink jet printers, so how do you people who had worked with home-made decals previously create white decals?
And do those laser color printers accept decal papers and do they have white ink in their ink catridge?

My best bet is to print out a shape (letters) I want and then slowly color them with tamiya pure white, and then clearcoat it.

Any better tips?

For white and light colored decals you can use white decal paper and carefully cut out the decal. You can also use a combination of white and clear decal paper. You can print out the decal using clear paper, then cut out white decal paper to the right shape and apply the clear decal overtop the white decal so the white parts come out as white (ie. letters).

I try to avoid decals that need white, cuz it is a pain in the ass if your car body isn't gonna be white.

Add your comment to this topic!