Rear differential Seal Leak?

stantony1
09-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

Need some help on a differential leak.

It seems like the front end of the differential is leaking. It's towards the front where the drive shaft goes into the differential. There are no pools or drips that are in my driveway so I think it might be the differential valve that is faulty. This is what I have read online.

Can anyone provide an illustration or photo on this part?

I want to try to clean it and change it out myself before I assume that the seal is bad in that area.

Again, there are no pools of fluid in the driveway. it looks like it was forced out in a spray because I can see it on the underside of the rodeo up over the diff.

Any pics or catalog numbers would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Cat Fuzz
09-17-2010, 03:19 AM
It is reasonable for a pinion seal to only leak while driving. Just because it doesn't leak standing still, doesn't eliminate the pinion seal. And, there is such thing as a differential valve. The only things that can be leaking are the pinion seal or the cover gasket or the axle seals.

stantony1
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
So I cleaned off as much of the diff oil from the area as possible and dried off the metal. Then I started looking for the valve.

On the driver side of the pumpkin was a rubber hose that s turned upwards and was attached to the top of the pumpkin.

I pulled off a small little metal cyclinder that was rusted which is the differential valve

There was a little nozzle that fit in to the hose. The rest was a shell over some knid of breathing filter or valve. I pried off the shell very carefully and it could freely rotate along the axis. I cleaned off the rust and dirt, rinsed it with water, and blew into the nozzle. Then I blew some air in there and it was functional again. I did this a few times.

I opened up the differential fill valve and was pretty low, I added about 3/4 of a quart into the differential and closed her back up.

Then I put the differential valve back on and drove around for the next few days. High speed, low speed, got the temps up to operating temps.

There is no longer any seepage or weeping or spraying of the differential fluid.

I will continue to monitor and report is a leak still exists. I think I am good though!!!

Add your comment to this topic!