Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

low pitch noise on left side of front end

Brent W.
09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix with 60,000 miles on it. Recently while driving on the highway, a squealing sound started on the left side of the front end. I checked the bearing/hub assembly and found that it was in need of replacement, which I did. This took away the loud squeal but now I have a low pitched whining sound, which sounded like a tire problem. Accordingly, I rotated the tires to see if it made a difference. This did not change the sound at all. I also noticed that when I brake there is a clicking sound which I can also feel in the brake pedal. The rotors and pads are relatively new and on checking them they seemed to be fine. I though perhaps the inner CV joint was going and was possibly causing the clieking. I changed the drive shaft on the left side, but this too made no change and the noise remains. The sound is noticeable at lower speeds, but it really becomes loud when you get up between 45 and 50 miles per hour. Everything else on the front end appears to be in good shape, so needles to say, I am completely stumped and have no idea what else to try. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Brent W.

richtazz
09-15-2010, 02:56 PM
did you tighten the axle nut to the correct spec with a hand torque wrench when you replaced the hub bearing?

Brent W.
09-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Yes, I torqued it to 159 ft/lbs and the three bolts holding the bearing/hub assembly were torqued to the specified 96 ft/lbs.

richtazz
09-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I show factory spec is only 118ft/lbs for 01-up, so unless that torque spec came with an aftermarket bearing (and it is normal for an aftermarket bearing to use a different spec from factory), you have it WAY too tight and that would most likely be your issue.

BNaylor
09-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Rich doesn't the axle nut torque vary depending on whether the axle nut is new or used. Not all hubs come with a new axle nut. I've found discrepancies even in the gm fsm.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 480X854 motorola DROIDX

Brent W.
09-20-2010, 11:00 AM
I torqued it according to the Haynes repair manual. It shows 2001 through 2003 at 159 ft/lbs and 2004 and up at 118 ft/lbs.

Add your comment to this topic!