Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Pontiac bonneville Random No-Start

Packet_God
09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I have a 2002 Pontiac Boneville. It runs great. The only problem is every once in a while it just refuses to start. about twice I month I go to start it up. I turn the key and nothing. No sounds at all. All the lights work, radio windows and everything. I usually wait anywhere from 1-2 hours and come back and it starts up fine. This happes randomly. Some times its been sitting for a day or more and it won't start. Other times its minutes. I go to the store, park it for 15 minutes and come out and it doesn't start. No ryme or reason. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. It seems completely random.

I read about the possible security system problem on this forum. My security light stay on and does not blink. If what I gather from reading on this site. That is how it's supposed to be.

Anyone with any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

MagicRat
09-14-2010, 11:12 PM
You might simply have a worn starter motor or soleniod.

The next time it happens, try tapping on the starter motor itself with a hammer, then try the key. It's even better to have a buddy turn the key while you are tapping.

If that does not make a difference, try moving the gear shifter through all the gears while turning the key. If this makes a difference, your neutral safety switch may be bad.

Packet_God
09-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I may try that. I may not be able to get to the starter. Unfortunatly it seems that my luck has ran out. It will not start at all now. And unfortunatly the car is parked in my driveway which is on a steep incline. I do not feel comfortable getting under the car while its on a hill.

I'll post tomorrow with what happens.

Add your comment to this topic!