Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CHANGING FRONT BRAKE PADS ON 2001 GALANT.....For anyone who maybe interested.

les1
09-14-2010, 05:51 PM
After trying to get constuctive information on changing the front pads on a 20001 Galant. Today it was achieved & so easy BUT...........My problem was that I could not move the bolts holding the Caliper. So I had a friend in our Condo Association working on maitenance give me a little help. They let me use their Air impact to remove theses bolts....... 17mm sixpoint socket is required. However only one bolt needed to be removed, the bottom one. I slackened off top & bottom. Remove the bottom bolt & you can lift the caliper casing up exposing the brake pads.

Just remove the old ones make sure that the repacements are refitted in the same order of the ones removed i.e. shimms etc. put a little brake pad grease on the outside of the pads & shimms never on the pad itself & replace.

You will need to compress the caliper piston, this is the big round part on the inside of the caliper so that you can get it over the larger brake pads to refit. This can be done with what you call a "C- Clamp. Get something to cover the piston because it is a hollow round object. Push it back into the caliper by winding up the C-clamp so that it will now go over the new pads & set back into position... refit the bottom bolt. Maybe put a little grease onto the bolt before refitting it & you are done. Replace the wheel, retighten the nuts & refit the wheel cover....finished. It is so easy. Good luck.

Airjer_
09-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Get something to cover the piston because it is a hollow round object.

Or use the old brake pad in between the c-clamp and piston!

Add your comment to this topic!