Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Honda Accord randomly shuts off

awon42
09-14-2010, 02:17 AM
My 99 Honda Accord randomly dies while driving on the street.

I usually start up my car for about a minute and then I start driving off. Within 2-3 minutes while i'm stopped at a red light, the front hood area of my car shakes and then bam everything in my car just shuts off. No smoke, no gas smell. I usually could tell if my car will shut off because when i start it up,the common characteristic has always been the front hood/engine area always shakes and sounds awkward before i start moving. My car always shuts off while im stopped.

At that point, all the images and lights on my dash flash up and appear and my car wont start. (images such as abs light, check engine, emergency brake,etc= obviously there not in use)
To start it back up I pull up my emergency brake up than put my car on park, then turn the keys inward. then start my car up normally. This has happened maybe 3-4 times within the past 3 months. Sometimes it drives perfectly and those 3-4 times it hasn't, recently has scared me shitless during high traffic time in LA.

Any input of what possible the problem might be? What should I do to fix it? Thank you, any input appreciated.

somick
09-14-2010, 12:00 PM
We have a lot of threads on this topic here. Try to search.

What is the car's maintenance history: spark plugs, distributor cap, wires? If that has been taken care of, investigate the ignition key. At least that what the problem was with the recent thread poster's car.

Good luck,

Sam

Add your comment to this topic!