Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help choosing a car

TokyoReport
09-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I am looking to buy a used vehicle to replace my current vehicle, a 2004 saturn ion. Aside from the handling and the mpg I really didn't like the ion very much.

My two priorities when picking out my next vehicle are mpg and hauling space. I will be buying a house within the next few years and will be doing most repairs and upkeep myself. So I would like to be able to haul materials if needed. Nothing huge, but maybe small loads of lumber, shingles, etc...

I was originally considering a 2005+ Tacoma, but I don't really want to give up that much in mpg.

My brother suggested a 2003-2008 Toyota matrix. It seems to be a good option because of the decent mpg and fold down rear seats. It loses a few points with me because it's appearance. I don't like the super angular style of most newer cars. But I can't really afford to be choosing a car based on looks, so I guess it's still a viable option.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I would like to keep it under $10000, but I could go as high as 15000 if I felt it was really worth it.

Thanks

MagicRat
09-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Buy the car you really want. Just make sure it is capable of towing a 2000 lb trailer. (most cars, except for the smallest ones can do this).

Then get yourself a nice, light trailer to go with the car. A smaller car and trailer can easily haul much more stuff than a little wagon, yet gives you the freedom and style of a regular car when you are not hauling anything.

LBcarfan
09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
If you liked the practicality of the Matrix with the fold down seats, yet still being a car, take a look at the Mazda 3. The hatch back and the sedan both have fold down back seats with tons of room and get nice mpg (the 2007 and older models aren't as angular). Otherwise maybe a Jeep Cherokee or a small truck like a Chevy Colorado. Also, I would highly recommend getting any potential buys professionally inspected by a used car inspection company or a trusted mechanic.

TokyoReport
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Buy the car you really want. Just make sure it is capable of towing a 2000 lb trailer. (most cars, except for the smallest ones can do this).

Then get yourself a nice, light trailer to go with the car. A smaller car and trailer can easily haul much more stuff than a little wagon, yet gives you the freedom and style of a regular car when you are not hauling anything.

Thanks for the advice. I do think I will be getting a trailer eventually for larger loads, but I would still like a vehicle that has room for smaller loads. It isn't practical to hook up a trailer everytime I need to go grab a few 2x4s.

If you liked the practicality of the Matrix with the fold down seats, yet still being a car, take a look at the Mazda 3. The hatch back and the sedan both have fold down back seats with tons of room and get nice mpg (the 2007 and older models aren't as angular). Otherwise maybe a Jeep Cherokee or a small truck like a Chevy Colorado. Also, I would highly recommend getting any potential buys professionally inspected by a used car inspection company or a trusted mechanic.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do like the mazda3 hatchback, not so much the sedan though. I know nothing about mazdas, how do they drive? are parts relatively cheap? are they reliable?

The main reason I started out looking at toyotas is dependability.

I was thinking about a small truck, but I figured they stopped making them in the 90's. I haven't seen anyone driving a new small truck in years. I guess I have seen the colorado around, but they don't seem very common, atleast not around here.

LBcarfan
09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
I owned a 2007 Mazda 3 sedan (unfortunately got totalled in an accident) but it drove great!! They are very comfortable, there is a noticeable difference in "get up and go" between the sport and the regular- i owned the sport. Very smooth ride, great handling and breaking, just watch out because before you know it the speedo will be at 90mph lol. My brother owns a 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback, he loves it just as much as i did my sedan. In the 3 yrs I had mine, i never had any issues with it, cheap to get maintained (Mazda owned by Ford), quite reliable in my opinion.

As for the small-sized trucks: the S10s stopped in the 90's, but the Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon are quite popular for people who need the truck bed, but dont want to give up mpg. There's also the Toyota Tacoma, smaller version of the Tundra.

TokyoReport
09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I owned a 2007 Mazda 3 sedan (unfortunately got totalled in an accident) but it drove great!! They are very comfortable, there is a noticeable difference in "get up and go" between the sport and the regular- i owned the sport. Very smooth ride, great handling and breaking, just watch out because before you know it the speedo will be at 90mph lol. My brother owns a 2010 Mazda 3 hatchback, he loves it just as much as i did my sedan. In the 3 yrs I had mine, i never had any issues with it, cheap to get maintained (Mazda owned by Ford), quite reliable in my opinion.

As for the small-sized trucks: the S10s stopped in the 90's, but the Chevy Colorado/ GMC Canyon are quite popular for people who need the truck bed, but dont want to give up mpg. There's also the Toyota Tacoma, smaller version of the Tundra.

Great, I'll put the mazda 3 hatchback on the list.

My original choice for a new vehicle was a tacoma, but I can't bring myself to compromise on the mpg. Plus the loss of seating is an issue too, not that I cart people around alot, but it would be nice to be able to carry more than one passenger comfortably. If I were to get the crew cab it would end up bumping it out of my price range.

Jamesfranklin
06-23-2012, 02:17 AM
For a long I want to buy a car but unable to find a car which is better for me pleasing provide me an idea in this context .Any help will be appreciated

Add your comment to this topic!