Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need to make bubble flare?

hammer2
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
2000 model. had pinhole leak in the 2' section going from just in front of driver side rear wheel, up around wheel to some kind of 4" long connector block. had to buy 30" unbent section from advance auto. but the two nuts were different sizes on mine and auto parts stores have same size on each end. so bought one that had the smaller of the two nuts and bubble flares and it was about 4" too long. I cut one end, bent it all real nice to match original. but now I need to put a bubble flare on the one end. I have tried using double flare kit and just doing first step as have read that will work. but then also read not to do it that they are not same angle. any ideas? think I can go to place like pep boys and pay them just to put a flare on for me?

other question is about nut size. since this is bubble flare that implies metric. and the two original nuts threads measured 10mm and 12mm. now the replacement nuts measure 12mm and 9mm? so wondering if the replacements are NOT metric and the one just happens to match up? do they have special metric nuts? I know at advance all the nuts were standard size? you would think NAPA would have given me right nut as they seemed to know what they were doing.

inafogg
09-13-2010, 05:24 PM
they sell the ''ends'' to step up to your size.so cutting & flaring isnt neccesary

hammer2
09-13-2010, 05:50 PM
neither napa nor advance had an adapter capable of mating to bubble flare and step up to the bigger size. napa could sell me a pipe that had double flare on each end and then they had adapters for each end to the right size. but I am not so sure that the angle on adapter that was to mate to where the original bubble flare was going to mate was correct for mating into the bubble type flare? and another issue is that the original is only 26" long and they only have 30" long. add in the adapters and you are looking at about 6" that I have to lose. not easy in this very short run with a lot of bends and not much room.

inafogg
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
never had a problem with the flares ''no leaks'' if it ends up being to long
i just coil the extra line

Add your comment to this topic!