Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tire Pressure Monitor System

tackett07
09-09-2010, 07:09 AM
2008 4.8 WT Silverado, Regular Cab

My tire pressure symbol came on yesterday, So I checked all the air and filled them up to 35 pounds. Well when I started the truck the light went off, then about 1 mile the light came back on and said Check front right tire pressure. Pulled over and still had 35 pounds.

So what could cause this. Could the sensor in the tire be bad?
Where could I get a new sensor at?

MT-2500
09-09-2010, 08:16 AM

My tire pressure symbol came on yesterday, So I checked all the air and filled them up to 35 pounds. Well when I started the truck the light went off, then about 1 mile the light came back on and said Check front right tire pressure. Pulled over and still had 35 pounds.

Read owners manual.
Got any reset procedures after light comes on.
Does it have the buttons on dash to read out the tire pressures?

j cAT
09-09-2010, 08:17 AM

this is the valve stem with this system. try to reset the monitor system . if still going off I would remove all of these devices too expensive and prone to failure. that is my opinion ...

MT-2500
09-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Some the sensors are mounted on valve stem inside tire.
Has tire been changed?

Airjer_
09-09-2010, 09:40 AM
You'll need to find a shop that has a good TPMS tool tht can commicate with the TPMS sensors. This toll will allow them to see what pressure the sensor is reporting. If the sensor is sending the wrong PSI value than the sensor has gone bad.

I'm pretty sure an '08 has to go through a relearn procedure every time the tires are rotated. This will let the vehicle know what position each tire is in. It has nothing to do with the systems functionality. If the relearn is not done after a rotate than the vehicle thinks the tires are in the same position as they where before the rotate. So if a Right Front comes up as low it could actually be the right rear or any other tire depending on where the sensor ended up.

iroc343
09-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Many people are unaware that any vehicle built after September 2008 must have a Tire Pressure Monitoring Sytem (TPMS) thanks to our friendly federal government (Ford, Firestone, and Congress). Most early systems could be reset using buttons on the dash or radio, but later systems must be reset using an electronic comunication device, the most inexpensive I have seen was over $300. Once the light comes on you can ignore it, but in some states, like Pennsylvania, the light must be out in order to pass vehicle inspection.

j cAT
09-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Many people are unaware that any vehicle built after September 2008 must have a Tire Pressure Monitoring Sytem (TPMS) thanks to our friendly federal government (Ford, Firestone, and Congress). Most early systems could be reset using buttons on the dash or radio, but later systems must be reset using an electronic comunication device, the most inexpensive I have seen was over $300. Once the light comes on you can ignore it, but in some states, like Pennsylvania, the light must be out in order to pass vehicle inspection.

good info . Now how to hack this , so its disabled ?

manshooter
02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
IF it is because the tires were rotated, OR because it just lost its memory, then you wont need the tool to change it.
I am not sure of the procedure any more, but my service writer does mine for $10 twice every year when I change my 17" winter rims and tires over to my 20"s all in about 5 min. (I change the rims myself or the shop would set up the sensors for me when they did the wheel change.)
He turns on the tire pressure readings on the dash, inflates them to 35-38 lbs, then you have about 1 min or so to reset ALL the tires to the normal tire pressure. You must over inflate it, and turn the key off and on a couple of times for it to work. He runs his butt off to adjust them in time, and often times he has to do it twice on other vehicles to get it right. But when he does, the lights either flash, or the horn blows a beep or two. He did it for me three times on my 09. I am not sure if it is the same on my new 2011 or not, but I will find out in another month or two if it ever stops snowing here.
I am just to old to move as fast as he does or I would do it myself. True, the tech can do it with the tool easier, but you can do it yourself. I am pretty sure you have to have the DIC to read the tire pressures however. (If yours reads out the pressures then you should be able to do it yourself.)
I added the DIC to my 09 LT for under $60 for the parts at the dealership. It is a simple snap off, change wire, snap on kind of thing. Took me about ten min to complete, and you get a lot more information from your Drivers Information Center. It is pre wired in all 07 and newer NBS trucks, from WT to LTZ.
I am sure one of the techs on here can tell you the exact procedure.
Good luck.

mcconnell45
02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Not sure if this will pertain to your problem but here is the relearn procedure for the system.

The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined
below:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition switch to RUN with the
engine off.
3. Using the DIC, press the vehicle information button until the RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. If your vehicle does not have the DIC buttons, press the trip odometer reset stem located on the instrument panel cluster until the RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS
message displays.
4. If your vehicle has the DIC buttons, press the set/reset button. The horn will sound twice to indicate the TPMS receiver is ready, and the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message will display. If your vehicle does not have the DIC
buttons, press and hold the trip odometer reset stem until the horn chirps twice and the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message is displayed.
5. Start with the driverís side front tire.
6. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap
stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by
increasing or decreasing the tireís air pressure <---------- set the tires pressure to the max then let out a couple pounds and wait ..for five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which make take up
to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position. To decrease air-pressure out of a tire you can use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air pressure gage, or a key.
7. Proceed to the passengerís side front tire, and
repeat the procedure in Step 6.
8. Proceed to the passengerís side rear tire, and
9. Proceed to the driverís side rear tire, and
10. After hearing the confirming horn chirp for the driverís side rear tire, the horn chirp will sound two more times to signal the tire learning mode is no longer active. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK.
11. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
12. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems The spare tire does not have a TPMS sensor. If you replace one of the road tires with the spare,
the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message will be displayed on the DIC screen. This message should go off once you re-install the road tire containing
the TPMS sensor.

manshooter
02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Thank you!! that is EXACTLY what my service writer does with my pickups.
I could not remember what all was involved, but I knew regular people could do it with no tools, as long as the system was not broken.
Great write up!! Very precise and easy to follow. Maybe this spring I WILL even give it a shot myself. :)
Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!