wheel hub replacement on a 2005 1500 4x4?

zl5600
09-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Do you really need to pull the drive axle to replace a wheel hub on the above pickup or can you get by without doing that. Seems awfully complicated procedure for something that should be pull three bolts, one Nut and push the axle shaft out of the bearing hub and replace. Any help would be great.

Airjer_
09-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Shouldn't have to. Sometimes the axles get stuck in the hub and that's when you start running into problems.

zl5600
09-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Shouldn't have to. Sometimes the axles get stuck in the hub and that's when you start running into problems.

So you can get at the bolts at the back of the steering arm? I have not looked at it real hard yet but the sound it makes turning left into a turn is a pretty familiar sound. I have a puller that I can use to push the shaft out of the arm so not too concerned about that.

HEMIDAZE
09-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Boy, are you in for a treat. Sliding the axle out wasn't too bad. Couple of issues. As I recall the bolts were pretty hard to get to. Then the bearing assembly was a light press fit at the fatory. After 5 or so years it gets rusted and it is a real bear to knock out after you get the bolts out.
Good luck

On edit, I remember the bolts were about an inch too long and were severely rusted where they went through and hung out in the air. Very very hard to get out.

Add your comment to this topic!