Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

FM Transmitter/Modulator for MP3 Music

BNaylor
09-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent FM transmitter/modulator so I can play MP3 music off my Droid X smartphone? I have the 9 speaker Monsoon stereo system in my GXP but it is not the MP3 player version. Obviously no 3.5mm audio jack.

If you are using one please state the brand and model and whether it actually works well. How's static, etc.

TDWPgtp
09-07-2010, 10:15 AM
have you considered an aftermarket head unit with an auxilary jack? if you dont want to do that then deffinately get an fm modulator over a transmitter. the transmitters will come and go as you pass through different strong points of radio signals. the modulator should be as close to perfect sound quality and consistancy as you can get through the radio. make sure whatever product you buy actually ties into the the intenna wire rather than just transmits. i dont know of any brands because i do not use one but i have a few friends with both types of products and the transmitters are always junk while the modulators are good. i hope this helps you

tmwr2006
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
If you want to keep your existing factory radio, you can get a Direct FM Transmitter. You can get this unit at most Best Buy stores. This is the product link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iSimple+-+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B+Adapter+for+Mo st+Vehicle+Radios+(Basic+Install+Included)/9252122.p?id=1218068779609&skuId=9252122&st=iSimple&contract_desc=null

It is fairly easy to install with some basic knowledge. I tapped into my accessory wire that runs in the door jam on the bottom side of my drivers side door to provide power to the device. When I shut off my car and open my door my radio shuts off, at that point it also shuts off the power to my direct fm transmitter device and will not worry you with draining your battery or anything like that.

The kit comes with an auxiliary cable and an iPod connection cable. If you use the iPod connection cable it will also charge the ipod.

If you have any questions about it just message me.

BNaylor
09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking for something portable that you can move between multiple cars and keeping the stock sound systems intact. I recall the VR3 FM Modulator or similar had good reviews several years ago. Also, I'm looking for one that has a cradle for the smartphone and a flexible gooseneck. See the link below at EBay and tell me what you think about it. TIA.

Click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VR3-USB-MP3-FM-MODULATOR-TRANSMITTER-VRFM8-BLACK-/400143251101?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5d2a65769d)

tblake
09-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Bob, I had an ebay cheapo back in the day that took 2 AAA batteries. The thing actually had pretty good sound quality, which I attributed to the fact that it had an external antenna that stuck out of the transmitter a bit. I forget the brand it was.

The 3 I have had recently for IPOD's are just not worth it. The sound quality was just terrible with all the static. What I found out with these is when I held it in my hand the sound quality got better. Almost as if I was a big antenna. These IPOD ones had no external antenna, they fust plugged on the bottom of my ipod.

The Ebay VR3 one looks pretty good, but I know pretty much nothing about that brand. And its sort of spendy for something to possibly not be satisfied with.

rkvons
09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Go to newegg.com and search for "FM Transmitter". You can read the reviews by others.

BNaylor
09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks l'll check it out. Bummer to spend $85 or more finding out doesn't work well.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 480X854 motorola DROIDX

Add your comment to this topic!