Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wheels/Tires and Front End

old89lsc
09-06-2010, 08:00 AM
I have a 1992 Corsica that was in need of new front tires as they were worn out on the shoulders.

Anyway, I found someone with a set of used 16" wheels with 205/60-16 tires from a pontiac sunfire, which uses the same bolt pattern. I put the wheels on the car and found out that on the driver side, the tire is contacting the strut. On the passenger side it is not.

Anyone here ever put this size tire on? Any guess as to what is wrong with the suspension since it is contacting one side but not the other?
I guess this would be related to the shoulder wear.

LTZ89
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Sounds like the strut alignment is off on the drivers side which would also be cause of uneven wear on the tire

i have 205/60/15 on mine and there is plenty of clearance

old89lsc
09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Sounds like the strut alignment is off on the drivers side which would also be cause of uneven wear on the tire

i have 205/60/15 on mine and there is plenty of clearance

Something certainly is off. Is the strut something that can be adjusted? Or might it be bent?

The 15" rim your using in place of the 16" rim on mine reduces the height of the wheel/tire from the hub by 1/2." The strut contacted the tire at the shoulder, and a shorter wheel may have been okay. I noticed that tirerack offered a 205/55/16 wheel and tire package for the car, which again would be about 0.4" shorter.

LTZ89
09-28-2010, 09:49 PM
the 15's are LTZ rims

you can loosen the two bolts holding strut to hub and bring hub forwards just enough that tire does not rub then re-tighten them
that should also stop the uneven wear, be careful not to move it too far otherwise steering will be off
a bad alignment will make the large rims hit or rub the struts

Add your comment to this topic!