Bad Wheel Bearing Affects MPG?

4-Door Flunky
05-19-2003, 12:59 PM
My car's running great, and I keep it that way, but it's getting fewer MPG than it did when I first got it.
Would a worn wheel bearing make any difference in the MPG?
I'm going to check it now that I've fixed it, but could that be a factor?
Flunky
PS-Would that create enough drag to make a difference?
PPS-Anybody who has just fixed one noticed a difference at the pump?

FourthGenHatch
05-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Of course it would, its making the engine work harder since it is no spinning right the engine needs to force it more.

IM4U2NV81
05-19-2003, 09:48 PM
first of all, he said wheel bearing. Secondly, if it were a "motor" bearing be it rod or main, the car would have far more problems that MPG!
So, with that being said. No, i don't think a wheel bearing would affect MPG. However, I think it is a dangerous situation to ride with a worn wheel bearing. A couple of things could happen. Of course, it could go on forever and nothing happen at all but lets mention what could happen.
1. wheel bearing could freeze up and lock causing DANGER!!
2. wheel bearing could explode and cause DANGER!!
3. doesn't matter, it's DANGER!!
haha, I would suggest getting it fixed if you haven't already. I have always had my own lil thing about fixing the things that are important for my saftey and others safety. Such as, brakes and suspension. Do them right the first time!

91civicDXdude
05-19-2003, 09:49 PM
obviously a bad wheel bearing would add drag, as in the motor has to drag the busted ass bearing which makes the wheel not move as easy.

do this, take a bicycle, put dirt in the bearings, then ride it around. it will be a pain in the ass.

IM4U2NV81
05-19-2003, 09:56 PM
I have to say you misunderstood what you said the first time you replied to this post. However, any affect it would have on MPG would probably be un-noticeable.

4-Door Flunky
05-21-2003, 04:53 PM
I think I'll drive to Albuquerque and back just to settle this.
No, I wouldn't be driving the car at all if I thought it was a legitimate risk. Since most of us have some understanding of mechanical things, we understand that there are priorities. For example, a fuel leak should be dealt with IMMEDIATELY.
I know how far you can go on a bad bearing. A friend of mine, the infamous Bryan Corn, drove around with a terrible one for for oh, about a year. He drove a lot, too. Anyway, I remember how loud his bearing got. It was at the point where it felt like someone was driving on your skull. Whom-whom-whom-whom!
And yes, his entire wheel broke off while he was driving down the street. So I feel like I know how far one can be pushed.
My bearing noise was still mild compared to his.
Flunky

Add your comment to this topic!