Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need a few tips on Drag racing a stock car

amodoko
09-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm totally new to this, and wanted a bit of advice if anyone can offer it. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to look for comparisons on the threads about my questions and had trouble finding the answer.

Anyways, I'm going to race my buddy at a drag race (probably at Gateway International if they allow us). We both don't race, we are doing this for bragging rights kind of. Best 2 out of 3. I have a 2000 Celica GT-S, completely stock, manual transmission. He has a 2000 Celica GT (has 40 less horsepower stock than my GT-S) that has been modified somewhat.

I've never really sought out the proper way to race a manual transmission. I asked around, and got two main answers:

1) "Drop-clutch shifting"- Don't know if that is the right term. But he basically said I never take my foot off the accelerator and when I shift, I quickly press the clutch in and shift fast, without ever taking my foot off the accelerator. This sounds fine, but won't this do damage to my car? If so, what damage will it cause?

2) Shift and drive normally but just do it all faster- When shifting just push clutch in, shift gear, clutch out and accelerate... but just faster.

Which one is the right method, and what are the pros and cons to each of them? Thanks so much, I've never really raced for real and want to drag race to the best of my abilities. Take care

MagicRat
09-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Well, don't do #1. It's possible to damage the engine by overreving, and exploding your clutch.
Proper race cars have scatter shields to contain an exploding clutch. Your car does not. Clutch debris can easily rip through the clutch housing , damaging the car and possibly hitting you.

Race drivers also have money to repair a car after driving like this. You may not.

#2 is better, but it is hard on the transmission synchros. They will wear out faster when doing this.

You should do some practice launches, to get a quick take off without excessively spinning the tires or stressing components. Also, learn how the tree works. Simply put, you need to practise so you start to launch the car by the final yellow light. That way the car is already just about to roll when the light goes green.

Split-second timing is required for the best launches, but the point is, if you wait for the green light to go on before you start to release the clutch, you are already too late.

amodoko
09-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Ok, thanks a bunch for the advice. I'll definitely stick with #2 then. But is that the way the pros do it when they obtain the 0-60 specs for stock cars? Or do they do it a different way? Thanks so much

CassiesMan
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Go practice how to launch. Draggin a wrong wheel drive car is fail boat if you don't practice the launch, ask me how I know. If you can launch the car, that is half the battle right there. Unless we are talking FI or the bottle, I doubt the mods your buddy has done on his Celica are really going to make up that much difference in power.

You aren't pushing enough power through the gear box to not flat shift, so I'd stick with method number one with a bit of practice. Just take it out some night and row through the gears to see how fast you can shift, so you know when to initiate the shift. For example, on my car, the 3/4 shift is a pretty easy one, so I don't bother lifting. Same for the 4/5. If I'm wide open going from 5/6 I'm going way to fast anyway, so I wont bother trying to make that a fast shift.

Shadowleaf
12-01-2010, 02:37 AM
"When shifting just push clutch in, shift gear, clutch out and accelerate... but just faster."

yes and no, but like the others said... not the first option.a clutch does not have to be pressed to the floor to shift your gear.. depending on the make and modle the clutch acts differently. my foot only travels half way on my daily driver on the clutch and my other cars it travels less.. but my foot never touches floor... but that shouldnt realy be the deciding factor if you both do not realy race. im sure your friends driving habits are like yours, so im sure they shift just like you. now where its going to make the difference is in launch at the tree.iv seen alot of upsets due to slow response times when the tree goes green.study the tree, be the tree... practice the tree. if your friend doesnt understand the tree or thinks the tree is something you decorate for christmas... let them think that. they will either jump the light (you win), or they will have ultra slow slug launch (youll win). when i was growing up my father refused to help me build a car stating i had to upgrade the driver first. i didnt understand until i was a bit older, and with all said from everyones posts.. you have have been upgraded. so practice practice practice...then go mash your friend into the ground and get lots of pictures.:iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!