Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition control module

buck96
09-04-2010, 03:58 PM
I recently changed out my distributor, ignition control module, plugs, wires, rotor and cap, after I got the timing all reset and took the vehicle for a test drive I noticed that my power is not any where near what is was previous to the replacement, and it doesn't shift down or up the way it did previously either. All parts were OEM except plugs. Any thoughts as to what the issue may be? Could the ICM be the cause.

mechhound
09-05-2010, 10:38 AM
What year is your Bronco? Which engine do you have? Did you disconnect the spout connecter when you set the timing/

buck96
09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
96 bronco, 351
Yes I disconnected the plug prior to timing and also had the engine at normal operating temp.
The engine seems to drag after shifting when accelerating (notice slugginess at around 2000 to 2300 RPMs) and doesn't down shift as it did prior, when at speed and then accelerating.
This engine has always had excellent power through the accelerating cycle with no drag or sluggishness after the shift, just an even shift and pull through the RPMs, now it drags until the RPM's get up around 2800 to 3000 before you really feel the pull.

rhandwor
09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Advance and Advance used to have module testers. I would take it in for a free test. I've had bad aftermarket modules in the past.
Check everything is plugged in correctly.
What problems did you have before the changeover?
Could you have crossed a plug wire a common problem?

buck96
09-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I had it into the dealer for a diagnostic because it died out unexpectedly going down the road they said I had a bad ICM and Dist. Stator, I changed out the dist. because it only cost me $80.00 more a new dist. and was easier than changing the stator. I'm sure my wires are correct as I marked everything before I started. The reason I question the ICM is because I ordered them online and the # on the new part was different than the original, but I've ran into that before with other items and it wasn't an issue. When it originally died, after it restarted my check engine light came on, with the new parts it is out.

rhandwor
09-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Call dealer parts and check the part number. Using a wiring diagram and double check the wires.
Some modules have a different number of terminals check with your old module. You can also install your old module as it apparently worked. If this fixes the problem get a replacement.

buck96
09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Checking the parts # was my next step but the dealers parts dept. at the dealers I've called are about as helpful on stuff like this as a hunting dog that doesn't hunt. Henceforth, why I belong to this site. Unfortunately I have limited information to give back, so I can only say thank you and hope those out there, like you, who have replied know that it is truly meant.

Add your comment to this topic!