Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Steering Flush Update

cougar214
09-03-2010, 08:56 AM
O'k guys. I haven't had the time to post this but here we go. Firstly I followed your instructions with flushing the PS system using the turkey baster approach. I didn't have one so I used the next best thing. A food syringe. It worked better actually. I managed to get the fluid to a little lighter point than new engine oil. Which was good considering it looked worse than 3 year old engine oil.

Now for the bad news. I did this last Saturday. A few hours after doing it I went to pick my wife up from work and run a few errands. We got about 3 miles away from her job and all of a sudden my PS failed.

I pulled over a block away and found my belt had shredded. After some inspection I found that my tensioner wheel had failed due to wear. Why they make these things out of PLASTIC I will never know. Now on to the worst part.

When the belt failed just before it snapped it sliced a nice four inch line right through my PS fluid tank. After calling around no one seemed to sell just the tank so I had to buy a whole new pump. It wasn't easy getting the pump in and out because I don't have the pulley remover so I had to remove the pulley and put it on the new pump at Advance Auto using their tools.( thank god for loner tools)

I now have everything replaced and she seems to be doing just fine. In fact she's better than before. Airjet made the comment about even the after market pumps making allot of noise. I can tell you this one is whisper quiet. That is after getting the air out of the system. The cap doesn't fit tight but I'm assuming it's to let any air bleed out.

I know this is long and winded but I figured I'd let you guys know how much fun I had last weekend.Lol. Oh and the new tensioner wheel is METAL! I think this one should last a while. I also, As you can see, Have the 3800 S2 which doesn't have a filter that I could see so I have no idea how it filters the fluid in mine if it even does.

Add your comment to this topic!