Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Building the ultimate sleeper...

2strokebloke
05-18-2003, 03:59 PM
No offense to all you ricers out there, but you're slower than molasses on the 5th of december, and by next year, you're also going to be slow than my Yugo.
I think everybody has a little "mad scientist" in them - mine just took over.
So how do I turn my Yugo into the ultimate sleeper?
First I remove the ground effects and install normal GV bumpers and such, so it looks even less special. Well that's how I make it look slow, now how do I make it go fast?
Something some people don't know is that Yugo engines were paterned after FIAT designs, and Fiats came with some pretty powerful engines. My plan is to locate an old X1/9, and use it's engine, if my memory serves me right the engines used in these provide anywhere from 75hp for early engines, to 85hp for the later models.
If my math is correct, if I were to bolt a late model X1/9 engine into my Yugo, my power to weight ration would be an astonishing 1hp per 21.7lbs.!!!
With the 5speed tranny that's already in my GVX, this should lead to incredible acceleration rates, and fuel efficiency shouldn't suffer much either (the X1/9 reportedly got around 30mpg Hwy., the GVX gets 32mpg anyway)
After that, it's making it look semi decent, I was thinking dark tinted windows and a metallic burnt-orange paint job.
Best of all my Yugo won't sound like a weed-whacker gone mad when I want to go fast.

1Mazda323Fan
05-18-2003, 05:38 PM
That sounds like a good idea, but I think you're not realising something here. 85 HP may be a good bit for that car, but you'll hit high-9 sec. 0-60s, if you're lucky. Seriously. 21.7 lb/HP is not that good of a power/weight ratio. The 2nd gen Eclipse turbo had just over 14 lb/HP, and the Integra Type-R has about 13.5. This IS just my opinion, but I think I would look elsewhere than the X1/9 engine for my power supply. Perhaps something with displacement GREATER then a Disposall?

2strokebloke
05-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Why X1/9? Because the X1/9 engine will bolt straight into the Yugo without any modification, and it'll be cheaper to do than some other engines out there. When 1hp to 15lbs. of car is considered ideal (as it was back in the muscle car days) I think that 1hp per 21.7lbs. is certainly not bad, and that's with a stock engine, mods could easily raise the power of this engine. I'm thinking of a 0-60 time of about 10 seconds as realistic with the stock X1/9 engine.

Sean
05-19-2003, 10:57 PM
dont forget to put on some type-R stickers! wait, you said you wanted a sleeper. maybe put them on the repaint, so no one will know :finger:

HillbilySailor
05-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by 2strokebloke
No offense to all you ricers out there, but you're slower than molasses on the 5th of december, and by next year, you're also going to be slow than my Yugo.
I think everybody has a little "mad scientist" in them - mine just took over.
So how do I turn my Yugo into the ultimate sleeper?
First I remove the ground effects and install normal GV bumpers and such, so it looks even less special. Well that's how I make it look slow, now how do I make it go fast?
Something some people don't know is that Yugo engines were paterned after FIAT designs, and Fiats came with some pretty powerful engines. My plan is to locate an old X1/9, and use it's engine, if my memory serves me right the engines used in these provide anywhere from 75hp for early engines, to 85hp for the later models.
If my math is correct, if I were to bolt a late model X1/9 engine into my Yugo, my power to weight ration would be an astonishing 1hp per 21.7lbs.!!!
With the 5speed tranny that's already in my GVX, this should lead to incredible acceleration rates, and fuel efficiency shouldn't suffer much either (the X1/9 reportedly got around 30mpg Hwy., the GVX gets 32mpg anyway)
After that, it's making it look semi decent, I was thinking dark tinted windows and a metallic burnt-orange paint job.
Best of all my Yugo won't sound like a weed-whacker gone mad when I want to go fast.

I'll give you this, you've got some king size brass balls! LOL :D

fiat22turbo
07-28-2003, 05:40 PM
That is a standard upgrade for the Fiat X-1/9 guys... 1300cc SOHC w/turbo, about 130hp stock. Bolts right in... plus the vented front discs bolt right onto the Exxie spindles (and the yugo pieces since they use the same brakes)

You'd have to have one imported from Europe, but there are a few people who do this on a regular basis, check on the forum at http://www.mirafiori.com for info on that...

Good luck with the project! I have an X-1/9 that I'm putting an american turbo four cylinder in. 175hp stock with upwards of 4 or 500hp in street/race trim. should be a fun ride!

Good luck!
Stefan

Japmetal
07-29-2003, 03:52 PM
I dont know if you've ever seen many Unos [Turbo or 'shopping trooley' versions] BUT I reckon you could save yourself alot of hassle by just importing a turbo example to the US and using that instead of your Yugo - ok, it wont quite be the cult car you love, but believe me you'll acheive much the same "WTF ?" effect at the lights ;)

2strokebloke
07-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Importing a car costs lots of money, and I only paid $50 for the Yugo. Besides it's not about show, it's about go. Although while visiting Europe this summer I did see alot of Unos, but I like the Yugo better (except for the steering wheel angle that makes you feel like you're driving a bus)
And X/19 is cursed by the rust demon, so finding one with a dead body but live heart shouldn't be too hard to do.

focusdchaos
07-30-2003, 02:12 PM
I have an 88 GVX w/1500cc X1/9 engine. I have the regular 4spd though, I need to see about getting a 5spd. It sure does run through the gears fast though ;)

2strokebloke
07-30-2003, 03:17 PM
So you didn't use the GVX tranny? I'm pretty sure that the 5-speed was standard for the GVX. Did you also put the yugo cylinder head on the engine? It raises compression and it'll give better performance and economy.

Add your comment to this topic!