Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Got in a small wreck and now car is making strange sound

dvdmatsunaga
09-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Wutsup everyone, so yea I was following my friend and he stopped abrubtly because of a cat or something, but anyways i hit his back bumper with the front right part of my car. His bumper was fine but his truck is huge and his bumper is at the same height as my headlight so needless to say my car was kinda messed up. Headlight smashed although the bulb still works, hood bend, paint scratched, grill smashed in, ha yea i was pretty surprised, especially since we were goin so slow. Anyways it looked like all of the damage was cosmetic, however i've recently noticed that when i start up my car and step on the gas lightly a strange humming/small flickering/ticking sound emanates from somewhere in the engine, and the harder i step on the gas the louder the humming gets, even like a small roar, sort of like the engine is overworking itself, but the RPM's are normal. Even stranger is when I put it in Reverse the roaring is way louder then when it's in D. Anyways, any insight into what this could be/what part of the engine is malfunctioning and if can be simply replaced or needs to be taken into the shop would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Airjer_
09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
it might help if we knew the year, make , model?

dvdmatsunaga
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
ah sry, 1997 Cadillac Seville, SLS

MagicRat
09-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Your car is front wheel drive so it relies on two "dogbone" engine mounts to secure the engine. These mounts specifically resist the torque produced by the engine as you accelerate. They are bolted to the top of the front cylinder head and to the car's body.
The engine torque will want to move the top of the engine away from the grille when driving, and towards the grille when reversing.

So chances are, the body structure in front of the engine may be bent or damaged, allowing the engine to twist in odd ways. The roaring may be the accessory belt or related part being allowed to contact something under the hood.

jdmccright
09-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Coincidentally, I did the same with my old C2500 truck. Jacked up the whole right side of the front while his truck got off with nary a scrape. Thankfully, new body parts are easy to come by for this popular truck.

Along with the mounts, what has probably happened is the front radiator mount assembly (that holds just about everything on the front: headlights, hood latch, horn, radiator, A/C condenser, etc.) has probably been bent and/or pushed back so that the radiator fan is hitting the fan shroud or something else. Look under the hood with the engine off and spin the fan with your hand & see if it touches anything and look for spots where it has scraped adjoining parts.

Hope this helps!

dvdmatsunaga
09-07-2010, 02:50 PM
awesome info guys, thanks alot

Add your comment to this topic!