Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 pontiac gran prix

wango
08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Read some past forums. Car has a problem won't stay running after warm up for nine minutes. Just like somebody turned of the key. I have been through the sensor routine, fuel checks, and vac checks, and icm changed, coil checks, any ideas.
richtazz, wounderd if you had a resolution from your past.

tblake
08-31-2010, 08:12 PM
What motor in your 1989?

richtazz
09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Sorry Wango, but with close to 10,000 posts, I'm not sure as to what past you are referring. Is your Check Engine light on? If so have you pulled the codes stored? If not, the most common cause of this issue is the ECM (Electronic Control Module) commonly referred to as the computer. On this particular car, they are mounted under the hood, therefore being subjected to moisture, salt, etc...(especially since you're in MI) If the OEM part number on your ECM is 1227727, there is a very good chance it's your issue, as it the most problematic of those used in this particular car.

wango
09-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes the ecm is a 1227727. I will check all connections on computer. It is reading o.23volts on the map sensor while backprobe on c & a. and does not raise while engine is at idle. The a & b test 4.01 on the map stays the same while engine is running. Thi is a sign of possible ecm. Also about the time the car shuts down the car iswarmed up. Would the temp selenoid swicth for the fan have an efect on this problem.

wango
09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
PS. I did have a friend with a snap scanner dianosed ecm still good. First code thrown was a temp coolant sensor bad and changed that allready cleared ot code since. Rechecked diag or code but none showing

wango
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I have not located the cam sensor yet on this 2.8L for testing but wold like to. Do you have any Ideas where it is. According to chiltons it's under the power steering pump. Hmm! The chiltons I have is not specific on this engine it just mentions the 3.1m.

tblake
09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
It should be in that general area, on the 3100 you need to remove the PS pump to gain access (and see) the cam sensor.

Did you do the ECM tap test? With the car running smack the ECM a couple times with the palm of your hand. Any change in idle or stall/hickup, and the ECM is toast.

Add your comment to this topic!