Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I found a jewel!

brennen
08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
I recently bought a 355(350 bored .030 over) from a guy my dad news. All new internals balanced new seals new heads but it was a pulling truck and my uncle says i wont be able to put it in my car as it sits. I knew i had to do some modifications but what rocker arms, push rods, manifold, and carb should i go with. Its a 355 and anything over 750 cfm with the roller cam my uncle gave me is going to require me to use certain fuel. I have yet to compression test it with this cam, i am doing that this weekend. Also next thursday im getting a chunk of money and im hoping to get an answer from you all on which rocker arms, push rods, and any other advice you all may have.

The car i have is a 1988 camaro its got an efi 305 right now...i have the daytona urathene hood and no t tops...i know with one thing you have to do another, like motor work=suspension and breaking and causmetics and stuff but i want to get that motor in first and to do that im asking the public. suggestions on how i can get tunnel ram with out going over 750 cfm and what arms and rods...also what exhaust would be good for true duals...cough x the converter teehee :iceslolan

kd5icr
09-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like you got a great deal. What you should do if know what you want out of the engine. you will want stock leanth hardened pushrods with welded tips, as for rockers they can get very pricey. up to 300 dollars for a set of rollers. so that all depends on what you want to spend. A good set of roller tip long slot rockers can add up to 20 or so HP and dont cost more than 80 dollars from summit and I have seen them on ebay brand new for 60,and they come complete with new nuts. As for a carb, anything over a 750 could be to much carb for that engine so no need to go more than that. And even if you go larger than that you dont need to run any type of special fuel but some are ste up to run alcohol, so keep you eyes open for that as I am going to bet you wont need one of those. You only worry about fuel if the engine has a compression ratio over 10 to 1 then you will need the highest octain you can find and then some. For most good running street engines 9.5 to 1 will work damn good and still use pump gas. No matter what you want to do with it you have to be realistic with it. do you want to drive it daily? or build a weekend racer that stays parked most of the time. Slow down and think it thru, ask a lot of questions. This is a good place to do that or go to www.thirdgen.org (http://www.thirdgen.org) there you will find a ton of info.

Add your comment to this topic!