Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HUGE Wheel Lock nut issue! Need help finding the right key/socket to fit!

Passatguy
08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I've tried dealerships, tire expert shops, etc. I need to some expert advice here!. I have these wheel locks (attached) on my 2000 Passat which I bought used. The wheel lock nuts ARE NOT VW. No one seems to know where I can find a key/socket to get them off. The only option I've heard is to drill them (My last resort). There has to be someone out there that has seen this type of wheel lock!?!? Please if anyone knows where I might be able to find the key/socket that will fit this, please let me know. It appears to be after-market. We've tried every thing to get them off except for drilling or cutting them off. I'm hoping to find a simpilar solution. Thanks. :runaround:

MagicRat
08-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I have been able to get such lug nuts off by using a 12-point high-quality socket. I select a socket which will fit over the nut, very snugly. I use a small sledge hammer to hammer it on. If you are lucky, and its snug enough, it will grip the socket enough to remove it.

Of course, if its too loose, the socket will spin. Too snug and the socket may split.

The alternative is to weld a big bolt to the lugnut (it will take only seconds to do so with an arc welder) then turn the bolt.

Passatguy
08-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks, I've tried the 12pt socket trick with a mechanic. The issue is the outer ring of the wheel locks works as a safety mechanism. Between the outer ring and the inner bolt are ball bearings. So, just putting a socket over top just makes the outer ring spin. Welding a bolt could work. I may have to try that as another last resort next to drilling them off.

Thanks again

inafogg
08-31-2010, 01:40 PM
you can check at a tire store they may have a master set of wh lock keys
like goodyear,etc

BullShifter
08-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Wheel locks are nothing but a pain in the ass. How about a hammer and chisel? There is a master wheel lock remover kit out on the market. I've only seen it, never tried it. http://www.amazon.com/Locking-Lugnut-Twist-Socket-Removal/dp/B000I182FG/ref=pd_sim_dbs_hi_4 works too.

Add your comment to this topic!