Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Cutlass Supreme Fuel Issues

xX Goliath
08-30-2010, 12:13 PM
As the title suggests, I'm having (I think) fuel issues with my '96 Cutlass. It has about 175,000 miles and ran perfect before I replaced the fuel tank. Here is the story...

I noticed leaking fuel last Friday night so I put something under the car to catch whatever fell, and started looking at it on Saturday. Siphoned as much gas as I could through the EVAP (or vent, the one next to the filler neck) nipple on Saturday. Then on Sunday I proceeded to drop the tank. I discovered that the seams all around the tank were rusting through and were the cause of the leak. Bought a new tank, put it in, everything seemed fine. Hooked the battery back up, poured in 5 gallons of fuel, primed the system according to a guide I found online (ON for 2 secs, OFF for 10 secs, ON again) and the car won't start. Just keeps cranking.

I tried to listen for the fuel pump turning on when the key is first turned to ON, but can't hear it. So my first thought was a fuse or relay. I pulled the relay and tested it with a bench top power supply and it works fine - so that's not the problem. Can't seem to find any kind of a fuse for the fuel pump, any ideas about that?

I know that I plugged in the fuel pump electrical connection because the fuel gauge works. So i guess my next step is to see if the connector on the car side is getting power when the key is switched to ON. If not I know it is something forward of that (i.e. something with the car), if it is getting power that it has something to do with the fuel pump and I'll have to pull the tank again.

Any other thoughts on what could possibly be wrong? Also, I don't have a fuel pressure tester. If possible, I would like to not have to buy one but if I have to I guess I don't have any other choice...

Thanks for any help,

Matt

EDIT: Not sure if this matters but it is a 2 door with the 3.1L engine.

xX Goliath
08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
I found the problem. When I plugged in the fuel pump, I was having a bit of trouble, since I was in an awkward position. I just looked at the plug for the pump and the positive pin is pushed in. :(

http://i33.tinypic.com/vq5f7k.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/35jcpc9.jpg

Anyone have an suggestions on what to do? I'm guess I'm going to just have to buy a new plug and splice it in...

Thanks for any insight.

xX Goliath
08-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Nevermind. I cut out the connector and was able to re-seat the pin. Spliced it back together and the car fired right up :)

Add your comment to this topic!