Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

It's hurting like crazy!!

Junhao
05-16-2003, 09:54 AM
I was clearcoating my model just now without a mask and inside the house without opening the door (to prevent dust). And on the 2nd coat, there is a pain inside my throat. I tried drinking lotsa water but that did not help. Now it's been hurting for about 3 hours. I think I had the same feeling the last time I was clearcoating but it wasn't so serious and it went away in a day or two. Anyone had this experience before? Is it the effect of the lacquer? I didn't have such a problem when I sprayed paint without a mask or airbrushing.

BaNe
05-16-2003, 09:58 AM
I used to be into Graffiti. In graffiti you quickly learn to wear a respirator. Not knowing anyone personally, but I do know some of the graff artist I talked with died of respitory related illness. so wear a freaking respirator and if you are to stupid to not after I write this then you deserve to die! :p :flipa:

gtr206
05-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Ooi JunHao, do wear a mask when you are spraying with your windows closed. If the pain still persist, go see a doctor asap ok? Take care.

Martbee
05-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Hooooo, pretty rough my friend. Try drinking milk instead of water, it leave a thin coat of protein but please buy a respirator mask.

Lan_evo
05-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Hey next time wear a mask this once happend to a friend of mine. And y didn't u open some windows when u were done so u can clear the smell out??Well hope u get better.:)

Chain
05-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Lucky your throat is the first sign of it Junhao. Some people fill pain in their chest/lungs first and that is much more dangerous.

If you cant buy a respirator, get a good mask then.
Hope it isnt serious as it sounds. If you do fall ill after this, you r gonna hate the smell of paint and I hope you dont suffer from paintophobia :D
j/k

Hey, go see a doc and lay off spraying for a while, godspeed.

PS get an ionizer if you spray indoors to get rid of the paint particles that lingers in the air long after u have sprayed.

I got one and its effective enough.

Junhao
05-16-2003, 10:15 AM
I didn't have a mask as i can't find any stores in Singapore that sells them. I will try searching on eBay, although most of the sellers ship to USA only. I will try some milk too......

PatR
05-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Sounds like you got a real large amount inhaled there! Tamiya??

ultraxduce
05-16-2003, 10:18 AM
arent there those SARS masks in singapore. its better then nothing..

Chain
05-16-2003, 10:18 AM
Junhao u can get a mask easily these few days becos of you know what...SARS.

NTUC, Coldstorage, pharmacies are where you can buy them.

Martbee
05-16-2003, 10:20 AM
My friend, the respirator is sell in a car shop... every car dealer have a repair shop and can find you one... even in Singapore.

Junhao
05-16-2003, 10:24 AM
So the SARS mask can work? Seriously I didn't know. And since i don't own a car so I havent been to car shops.. i will continue searching tonight and if really cannot find i will stop sparying until i find one. Luckily my model is almost finished and no more spraying to be done, only polishing and cementing. Thanks for the concern everybody. I'll work safer next time.

Martbee
05-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Be careful, I lost lot of brain cells this way, I wish I had them all back but there's no way you could undo the damage. Just be careful and take care of yourself.

shieldwulf
05-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Hey Junhao,

I'm from Singapore too. Here are some tips.

You can get those N95 SARS mask which I believe is better than nothing. Else, you can go to the art shop called "Art Friend" at Bras Basah Complex on 3rd Storey. They have a corner selling air brush and accessories. Over there, you can get a "solid performance" respirator which is also quite expensive however. They also carry the cheapest type of masks for $0.21 each (but same as those at ABC bargain store)

The "ABC bargain" store at Peninsula Plaza also sells the cheapest masks at 10 for $1.00 but I've yet to try them.

PLEASE WEAR a respirator while spraying. The last time there was a major painting at the staircase well outside our office at work and the air-con system sucked-in the paint fumes and me and my colleagues suffered major throat pain.

In this meantime, stop the spraying work, rest and drink plenty of fluids. Instead, go watch "Matrix Reloaded" this weekend! :D

05-16-2003, 12:11 PM
If you've got a window look into getting/making a spray booth, too. A mask doens't do much good if the room is still full of fumes and overspray after you paint. It's not just your lungs; your skin can absorb this stuff rather easily and get it in your blood.

Search around on the 'net, there are a lot of different ways to extract the fumes out of a room.

Drinking won't help you much since liquids don't go down the same pipe, that's known as drowning :D. What you need is something that'll go into your lungs, like cough drops with menthol or just a hot shower with lots of steam. Close the bathroom door, crank up the hot water on full and inhale the steam. Don't shower with the hot water only, obviously.

MPWR
05-16-2003, 12:16 PM
NO!!!! A paper surgical 'SARS mask' is NOT better than nothing! You must have a respirator, and you will never find one for $1. You should be able to find one in an auto parts store or a hardware store. An art supply store MIGHT have them. You're looking for something with a rubber facemask, cylindrical replacible canisters that remove ORGANIC VAPORS. If you cannot obtain one, you must not spray paint, can or airbrush. You are poisoning yourself, my friend. If you cannot open a window, then switch to acrylics only and DO NOT USE LAQUER. Please- you don't want to be cursing yourself in 20 years!:bloated:

daggerlee
05-16-2003, 12:20 PM
LOOK! Those SARS mask won't cut it. If you truly want to be safe against hte dangers of spraypaint, you MUST get a Double Filter Respirator specifically designed for catching organic solvents and paint.

I repeat those SARS masks and cheap 50 cent dust masks are only good for keeping dust out of your lungs.

If you can still smell the paint fumes with a mask on then you're still being exposed.

You may already have developed an 'allergy' to the organic solvents in lacquer paints so from now on you will be extremely sensitive and have bad reactions like the one you described to the solvents in lacquer paint.

This is what your mask should look like

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/images/Safir/r200.jpg

PatR
05-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Vapors WILL go through the paper masks.

A respirator with charcoal grain filters is the way to go.

shieldwulf
05-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/images/Safir/r200.jpg

Yup, I saw one of these similar respirators on sale at the local art shop at Bras Basah (Singapore).

I currently use an active carbon filter mask so far without problems and when worn fittingly, I hardly smell the spray fumes. I wonder if this is okay. Photo below and please advise. Thanks.

http://www.toycube.com/work/sanhuei_sh3710cv_1.jpg

PatR
05-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Active Carbon Filters are good, but not the best protection.
They're better than plain weaved paper, but a respirator with changeable traps is the preferred style.

themodelkid
05-16-2003, 12:43 PM
I never were a resperator when i paint or anything, i guess i dont really worry bout even tho i should but oh well, i never felt any pain while doing anything prolly just your own reaction to the clear.

Rtuned
05-16-2003, 03:03 PM
:huh: :huh: If you want to spray indoor, open your window, it's a must unless you try to kill yourself. And if you want to spray with your window closed, please go get your spray booth and mask on.
I been modelling for more than 22 years, and I'm still ok. Because I choose to spray outdoor, but with a drying box with me.

Please don't spray indoor with window closed, it's really no joke. The fume will kill you.:mad: :o

theoldboy
05-16-2003, 05:49 PM
i only wear a paper mask when i paint (if i remember)
i find respiraters to heavy and pain in the arse to use
reasonable ventalation and drink milk not water

christofurr
05-16-2003, 06:56 PM
I can't say I've ever worn a mask while painting. I paint in my garage, with it all sealed off to stop any airflow which in turn brings dust. I usually pull my t-shirt/sweatshirt over my mouth and nose while I'm spraying (doing so I can't smell any fumes whatsoever), then leave the room as soon as I've finished. Then I come back in around 5 minutes, open the garage door and let the fumes escape.

Forhod
05-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Take care bro.. it is always better to spray outdoor.. :)
Becareful of the wind and dust though..

supratuner
05-17-2003, 11:08 AM
i paint in my bed room, with a window open, somne tiems with out it open, and i dont have any problems with paint, some tiems i paint, then go to bed 5 minutes after wards with out a window open, so mabye ure just sick or soem thing, i got a cold right now and my throat is killing me.

5ynergyx
05-17-2003, 11:17 AM
:jumpie: Please read :jumpie:

I understand you love your model very much but please do love yourself as much as you love your cars :( Now mask has been very common in Singapore. Use the N95 mask, it's available. Wondering the Kiasu Singaporeans who bought the mask and left it at home for? :huh:

Back to topic, for your problem, don't think your throat is ok after 2 days means you are ok. You might be burning your mucous membrane and the epithelial surface of your respiratory tract if the long term runs. From the external nares of your nose right down to Laryngopharynx (your throat) You might also be burning your "hairs" which protects small particles from entering your lungs. So please treat this problem seriously. Thanks... just an advice. No offence :rolleyes:

Gangrel52
05-17-2003, 10:26 PM
SPRAY OUTSIDE

I spray outside 99% of the time, and it works fine. However, I had wanted to paint one day it was raining so I went into the Laundry Room (as to not disturb anyone with the paint, the room is about the size of an apartment kitchen), opened two windows, had an fan blowing the fumes out the window, and STILL had a hard time with it. My throat hurt (not too bad) and my lungs felt really hot. I decided from then on, it was Outside, or no go.

SPRAY OUTSIDE
SPRAY OUTSIDE

I would say 'Be Smart Guys' but with half of the brain cells missing, it's very difficult to.
:bloated: :D

Junhao
05-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by shieldwulf

Yup, I saw one of these similar respirators on sale at the local art shop at Bras Basah (Singapore).

How much is it? And how do I get there. Meanwhile I'm playing video games to pass my time and not starting on my next car. i saw a good 3M mask on eBay but the shipping cost is steep.

Purpura Delujo
05-18-2003, 01:18 AM
I had this sort of problem once, I was spraying metallic paint without a mask and I had a blocked nose so I was breathing through my mouth, but i was breathing in the metallic particles ( :rolleyes: Smart). It cut up my throat because I breathed so much in, i even coughed up blood a couple of times :eek: :bloated: But it only lasted about 4 days. That episode was probably my own bad luck, but I now use a respirator like the one Dan showed a picture of, but mine has only a single filter with 2 valves on it. It works well though, can just smell the paint but thats because it's in the filter at the front of the mask. You can really notice how much paint and metallic particles would go into your mouth after you use the mask. Remember to replace the filter every now and then.

Slipknot
05-18-2003, 02:13 AM
:hehehe: HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.... I hope you die :devil: just jokeing . you need to take care of your self and where a mask dude later

daggerlee
05-18-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Junhao

How much is it? And how do I get there. Meanwhile I'm playing video games to pass my time and not starting on my next car. i saw a good 3M mask on eBay but the shipping cost is steep.

Can you really put a price on your health? :rolleyes: They cost about $15-25 in America.

Forhod
05-18-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by 5ynergyx
[BBack to topic, for your problem, don't think your throat is ok after 2 days means you are ok. You might be burning your mucous membrane and the epithelial surface of your respiratory tract if the long term runs. From the external nares of your nose right down to Laryngopharynx (your throat) You might also be burning your "hairs" which protects small particles from entering your lungs. So please treat this problem seriously. Thanks... just an advice. No offence :rolleyes: [/B]

You sounded a like doctor.. :D

Junhao, as Daggerlee says.. Can you really put a price on your health? :rolleyes:

So how are you now?

Marco_Wrc
05-24-2003, 05:14 AM
After reading this thread I realized how important protection against paint fumes is. Last time I sprayed paint, the inside of my nose was blue :bloated:

So, I found this respirator at a local shop.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/3790556953954.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/852896i-1.jpg

It's a 3m respirator, 6000 series I think, with dual airfilters. It seems to be a spray paint respirator.
Anyone of you have this one? Is it any good?

Add your comment to this topic!