Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

powershifting bad for tranny

strodda
05-15-2003, 10:11 PM
does anyone do it, and has anyone had problems because of it?

just wondering if it puts any extra stress on any drivetrain parts. cause i know if i convert to manual, ill be doing it alot... since thats the fun of a manual.

B16EJ1
05-15-2003, 10:36 PM
I would'nt think it's that bad but it does seem like it would cause extra stress for the simple fact that tranny's were'nt built to work like that consistantly. I would'nt suggest it. Powershifting is not necessary to stay within the powerband.

strodda
05-16-2003, 01:01 AM
does it actually allow us to shift and stay at a higher rpm or is it all in our heads? if you shift normally youre more likely to drop below vtec since you let off the gas before shifting. i would think it would at least help going from 1st to 2nd. dont the tires chirp because you shifted and stayed at a higher rpm? what is considered perfect shifting, is it perfectly powershifting or just shifting quickly and accurately?

feel free to point out any errors, ive never had a manual car, and ive only driven one a few times... so im still somewhat of a m/t virgin. but im excited as hell about getting one.

B16EJ1
05-16-2003, 01:43 AM
Yes it will keep you up on the tach but so will double clutching and I suggest neither for the simple fact that tranny's are a wee bit pricey. I'm not a drag strip kind of guy but when I shift at redline I end up right at the crossover untill it's time for 5th gear but by then you should be at the end of the 1/4 anyway.

accordztech
05-17-2003, 01:33 AM
i used to do it. if u notice redline and max for an auto matic is like some rpm. yet if u manually shift u can take it to the ecu redline when the car just starts gunking and jerking. i done this, i taken a 6k redline up to 7.5 redline.

really no point, there is no power past 5.5k.

power shifting is fun, but u will have to time it right to race someone. i foudn that if i let off the gas and slam the gas i loose a little time, so i shift at points with the gas in and slightly let off and press again.

i dont do this any more. for i think my tranny sufferd. but i am not sure, my tranny is fine now, but i know i took life off of it.

the only gear i would power shift is 1st to second, or if ur comming to a light and slowing down and it turns green DOWN TO 1st. you will get an extreme boost, in my car its enough to throw u back into the seat.

strodda
05-17-2003, 12:27 PM
i can actually let the a/t shift by itself, and it will still shift at redline. ive noticed that since i added the bolt-ons it shifts later. but if youre talking about shifting at 7.5k on your car, you are lucky you didnt blow the engine. thats definetly not safe on stock internals. and then, of course like you said, theres no purpose since max is reached in the mid 5's.

for the most part, is the only advantage between a m/t and an a/t when racing, the start?

Duatone
05-18-2003, 01:32 AM
ok, here are some points to ponder...

Yes it will keep you up on the tach but so will double clutching and I suggest neither for the simple fact that tranny's are a wee bit pricey. I'm not a drag strip kind of guy but when I shift at redline I end up right at the crossover untill it's time for 5th gear but by then you should be at the end of the 1/4 anyway.

do you know what double clutching is or do you just use that phrase cause it was in the fast and the furious?? double clutching does nothing but slow you down. double clutching is something that had to be done in older manual cars, dont remember the name, but that doesnt matter, you had to push the clutch once to get from one gear to neutral, and then push the clutch again to get it into gear, so do you really think that you can do that faster than one push of the clutch and a short shifter? doubtful....

also...
the only gear i would power shift is 1st to second, or if ur comming to a light and slowing down and it turns green DOWN TO 1st. you will get an extreme boost, in my car its enough to throw u back into the seat.
pay no attention to what was just said in this quote. that is THE WORST thing that you could do to your tranny. downshifting puts the most strain on your transmission. so forget about throwing your car into 2nd gear at 60mph just because it sounds badass and makes you think your all of a sudden doing mach 3. it is also true that you dont have to take your motor to redline and you dont have to mash your gas pedal flat to the floor. all your doing is using unnecesary rpm's and sucking up a little mor fuel than you need. just learn how to properly shift well. I dont speed shift and i can go right through the gears and not lost much momentum or rpm's.

B16EJ1
05-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Duatone

do you know what double clutching is or do you just use that phrase cause it was in the fast and the furious?? double clutching does nothing but slow you down. double clutching is something that had to be done in older manual cars, dont remember the name, but that doesnt matter, you had to push the clutch once to get from one gear to neutral, and then push the clutch again to get it into gear, so do you really think that you can do that faster than one push of the clutch and a short shifter? doubtful....

I know what double clutching is and what you're talking about is not the double clutching I'm talking about or that gay ass movie was reffering to and no it does not slow you down. Since you obviously don't know what it is I'll explain it to you. While you mash on the throttle you pop your clutch in to bump you into your power band quicker, then ride your power band then shift to the next gear and do the same in that gear. This all fucks up your tranny but helps get you to your powerband quicker. Don't come here picking apart my posts as if I'm some dumbass ricer that actually believed anything in that stupid ass flick. You did'nt even know what it was talking about anyway because if that's what you thought he meant then you were way off. :rolleyes:

accordztech
05-18-2003, 01:12 PM
everyone has their own opinions about trannys. mine is a little extreme. i dont do it much any more, but in auto trannys pressing on the gas to down shift takes a while, but once u shift down it will be faster, but i only do downshift to first gear under 20 mph.

i dont do it much at all now.

i wasnt sugusting that you do what i told you, i just did it to let you know what i did.

i dont do that sheit no more =). i just floor it.

strodda
05-19-2003, 12:00 AM
no need to worry about that shit, i never believe what i see in the movies:rolleyes: f&f is just a ricer bred movie full of neon exhaust tips and people who dont know shit about the cars theyre driving.

im gonna go with duotone, and just fine tune my precise shifting rather than mashing and powershifting.

AirAllen01
05-19-2003, 12:06 AM
Just to let you know, you are both right about the double clutching. There is the one they talk about in FAF, but then there is the other one that older manual cars and eighteen wheelers have to use.

B16EJ1
05-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Yah well who the hell other than mr Duatone though that I meant the double clutching that fuckin " eighteen wheelers " have to use? :rolleyes:

AirAllen01
05-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Who knows, but if you've only heard of one, then that's the only one you know.

B16EJ1
05-20-2003, 08:08 PM
WTF does that mean? I drive a damn Honda not no damn eighteen wheeler. Why would I have to know about double clutching one of those and why the hell would I suggest that shit for racing a friggen Honda? Does that shit make any sense.....no. Was it necessary to bring it up in this post?

AirAllen01
05-20-2003, 08:24 PM
What I'm sayin' is if he doesn't know that there is two meanings to double clutching, then he's gonna think that you mean the only one that he knows about. Yes it was necessary to bring it up, cuz you two idiots are arguing about two different things....moron. I don't care WTF you drive, I don't care how you drive it, but if you get some common sense for once, then you would know that duatone had no idea what the hell you were talking about. So get off my ass about it.

B16EJ1
05-20-2003, 08:43 PM
So tell me WTF your two retarded posts did to help strodda? Unless you know of something that was'nt already suggested why the hell are you posting dumb shit like you are. Basically he tried play me off like I did'nt know what I was talking about and I was right to begin with. Then you jump in and don't help any just like him. Why don't you noobs actually post something that helps others instead of picking apart others. :rolleyes:

strodda
05-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by B16EJ1
So tell me WTF your two retarded posts did to help strodda? Unless you know of something that was'nt already suggested why the hell are you posting dumb shit like you are. Basically he tried play me off like I did'nt know what I was talking about and I was right to begin with. Then you jump in and don't help any just like him. Why don't you noobs actually post something that helps others instead of picking apart others. :rolleyes:
its all good man, i know what not to pay attention to. thanks for the help though. i was just curious about drivetrain wear, and ive decided against powershifting most of the time. but every once in a while i gotta, especially when im coming home at night. theres always some jerkoff on my ass... no point having the extra power if i cant have a little fun with it:D

AirAllen01
05-21-2003, 01:27 AM
B16EJ1, you've got serious mental issues. I never said you were wrong. I even said you were right. I was just trying to explain to you that duatone and you were talkin about two diffenent things. I wasn't tryin to help strodda, I was tryin to clear up for you and duatone that there are actually two different types of double clutching and you were both talking about different ones. I said that if duatone only knows about one type of double clutching, then that is the only one he is going to think about, when in all actuallity you are talking about something completely different. Instead, you shot your pie hole off because you thought someone was talkin' down about you and started a whole argument over something stupid again. I never played you off as if you didn't know what you were talkin about. You knew what you were talking about and he knew what he was talking about, but neither of you knew what the other was talking about. So that's where I said that you were both right. No reason jumping case man. If you still don't get what I'm trying to say then forget it. Strodda got what he wanted, no sense in arguing. Peace.

monkut
06-06-2003, 02:58 AM
AirAllen....thanks for trying to bring some logic into their pathetic argument. i know its hard to make them understand but people would rather rely on bias and emotions rather than reason.

AirAllen01
06-06-2003, 08:16 AM
Whoa man, you're way late, but thanks anyways. I'm glad someone understands what I was tryin to explain. Thanks again.

B16EJ1
06-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by B16EJ1
Why don't you noobs actually post something that helps others instead of picking apart others. :rolleyes:

Add your comment to this topic!