Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with starter removal

gaberu
05-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Is lame as this is, can anyone help me in removing the starter? I got the two bolts off and I took the support bar off and the starter itself is completely free however and cannot clear it by a few mear inches to take it out. Is there a certain position it needs to be in or am I forgetting to take something off? Any help would be appreciated:) :)

pcv
05-17-2003, 12:17 AM
You are doing just right. All you have to do now is to twist the starter at an angle and push up and force it down. You might have a bigger starter in it. The starter solenoid is your problem but its doable. Good Luck.

glueit
08-04-2003, 11:56 PM
How in the world did you get the bar off?

( I'm new here..... should I start my own question, or follow another one? )

I can't see how to get the bracket at the back off? It seems to be bolted to the block and not accessed due to the closeness of the manifold and engine mount. Any hints? I hope!

I do see a large bar at the bottom... I could remove it, but so far the main problem is that bracket at the back of the starter. for me anyway. -it won't allow the starter to move back or forwards to drop free. I don't know if it's called a bar or bracket.

Thanks so much.

pcv
08-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Remove at least one braket bolt closest to the starter and pry it out of the way; enough so you can drop the starter.

Reznik
08-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Yeah it is do-able. I've changed them on the 2.5 's and the 4.3's.
Just wait till you try to put the new one in :mad:

Add your comment to this topic!