Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Supercharger Bearings

pjweingartner
08-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Haha, well... 5 years later.... if any of you are still answering questions, I have a 98 GTP, the 150k on it, the bearings are defiantly going out, i don't have the money to buy a refurbished supercharger right now. but i read that it is easy/cheap to change the bearings? i'm not really good with cars, just recently got into working on them, my plan was to take off the belt till i could buy a refurbished one, but if i can replace the rotors and such fairly easily, that would awesome. if not, what is the easiest way to take off the belt?
Thanks!

rkvons
08-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a 98 GTP, the 150k on it, the bearings are defiantly going out

If I could ask, how do you know the bearings are going out? Mine sounded terrible when idling, but was ok when cruising, so I changed my supercharger coupler and it is great again. Not a bad job.

BNaylor
08-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Haha, well... 5 years later.... if any of you are still answering questions, I have a 98 GTP, the 150k on it, the bearings are defiantly going out, i don't have the money to buy a refurbished supercharger right now. but i read that it is easy/cheap to change the bearings? i'm not really good with cars, just recently got into working on them, my plan was to take off the belt till i could buy a refurbished one, but if i can replace the rotors and such fairly easily, that would awesome. if not, what is the easiest way to take off the belt?
Thanks!

Welcome to AF.

Your post has been moved to its own thread for discussion. One of the old members in that old thread going back to 2005 was a good friend of ours but is now deceased so it doesn't bring back good memories.

You can operate with the SC belt removed but obviously power will be down.

Add your comment to this topic!