Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror Exploded

tblake
08-26-2010, 05:44 PM
I just can't win.... :shakehead

Got out to work and this....

The darn fluid leaked out of my auto-dim rear view mirror. Got all over the center console, and the worse part was it ate away at the plastic.

Whats funny is that today was defiantely not the hottest day of summer. It was about 80 degrees max today.

So, I have a regular manual mirror installed for the time being.

Anyone ever swap out their mirror for one with an autodim and compass from say like a late 90's suburban?

GTP Dad
08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
The swap should work although you may need to recalibrate the compass. Mine leaked too and I had to replace it with an aftermarket one. Didn't want to chance a used one.

JonJon68
08-27-2010, 06:30 AM
I've had two bubble up on me but didn't leak. Sorry to hear Tim. My first replacement was from parts.com and my second was from e-Bay. Both were direct oem used auto dim mirrors...Interestingly, the one I bought from e-Bay has lasted the longest and no problems yet. If I remember correctly, both cost me about between $20.00 to $30.00..

TDWPgtp
08-27-2010, 11:40 PM
ive been wondering for 4 years how my center console got melted like that. when i got the car the mirrior was not working properly and the plastic was melted on the console. thank you for solving that mystery for me! ha:runaround:

Add your comment to this topic!