Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil pressure light goes off when I'm driving downhill (Audi 80)

Sloforo
08-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Hello. When I'm driving my 1992 Audi 80 2.0 downhill, my oil pressure warning light goes off, along whit the warning sound. It has happened about five times now. This started about a week after i filled it up with more oil. Anyone knows what could be the problem?

Thank you

Selectron
08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum. It sounds like the oil level is low, so check the level again on the oil dipstick. The apparent oil level will shift when the car travels uphill, downhill, or around a corner, and if the level is low then the warning light might illuminate on those occasions, extinguishing when the car is back on level ground and travelling in a straight line. Check the level.

Sloforo
08-26-2010, 01:50 PM
First of all, thank you.
The oil level is over half full, so I doubt that that's the problem.

But is it dangerous to the engine? We are talking about a period of 3-5 seconds, and I use the clutch so it runs on just 900-1000 rpm when it happens. So can i use the car until i get it fixed?

Blt2Lst
08-26-2010, 05:07 PM
First of all, thank you.
The oil level is over half full, so I doubt that that's the problem.

But is it dangerous to the engine? We are talking about a period of 3-5 seconds, and I use the clutch so it runs on just 900-1000 rpm when it happens. So can i use the car until i get it fixed?

Not really familiar with the Audi's but your car may have a oil level sensor that might be bad causing the light to go off. :2cents:

You may also want to install a manual oil pressure gauge to see what the actual oil pressure is when this happens.

oldblu65
08-26-2010, 05:18 PM
The oil level should not be " half-full " but rather should be measured on the dipstick and fall within the " safe " level . Anytime the " low oil pressure " light is activated , it's telling you your engine is close to the failure level because of low ( insufficient ) oil pressure and engine damage is imminent ! Any time the oil pressure is low enough to activate the " light " , the possibility of engine damage occurring at that time is high ! Even a period of 3-5 seconds can be long enough to do major damage . Remember , the oil in the engine is basically the same as the blood in your body . If you suffer an injury and lose half your blood , the chance of you dying is very great ! The same can be said about your engine and a low oil level ! Getting the engine to idle speed during this " light on " occurrence might help minutely but the engine really should be shut off till the problem is remedied ! You are " flirting " with major engine damage !

Add your comment to this topic!